+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 weight reel

1. Default 3 weight reel

Any thoughts on a reel for a 7?6? #3?

A friend of mine has a Lamson Velocity on his 3 weight and it seems like overkill. I want something light and I?m not too concerned about a disc drag. Ross doesn?t make the Colorado 0 anymore which would be a perfect match in my opinion.

What reel has everyone matched to their favorite 3 weight?

Default Re: 3 weight reel

HD,

I use an all graphite (plastic) reel for my little 3 wts. The smallest of the Cahills made by South Bend that I can get at Sports Authority for around <$20. Clean matte balck finish looks okay with any rod.

I find that it works well with a light rod, where all the reel actually does is store the line. I've used mine for bass, panfish, and trout in four states.

Not flashy, but they have always worked well for me, seem to hold up (the oldest one I have is around 12 years old), and are pretty low maintenance (I rinse them off every year or so...).

It has a servicable drag (if one should ever, for some odd reason, be needed for such a rig), holds a 3 wt. line plus some backing, and is VERY light (which is the point, at least for me, to use a very light reel with such a light rod).

At this price level, you can own several if you need different lines.

You can spend a lot more, but I can't see the point in this application.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by HopperDropper
    Any thoughts on a reel for a 7?6? #3?

A friend of mine has a Lamson Velocity on his 3 weight and it seems like overkill. I want something light and I?m not too concerned about a disc drag. Ross doesn?t make the Colorado 0 anymore which would be a perfect match in my opinion.

What reel has everyone matched to their favorite 3 weight?
    I use an Orvis BBSII on my 7'6" 3wt.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

The new TFO Prizm reels are in the fly shops now. The cast aluminum reels sell for only $39.95. It has as offset Teflon disc drag... the spare spools sell for $19.95.

Quote Originally Posted by acadianfly
    The new TFO Prizm reels are in the fly shops now. The cast aluminum reels sell for only $39.95. It has as offset Teflon disc drag... the spare spools sell for $19.95.

any info on these, they are not on the tfo website
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders
    HD,

I use an all graphite (plastic) reel for my little 3 wts. The smallest of the Cahills made by South Bend that I can get at Sports Authority for around <$20. Clean matte balck finish looks okay with any rod.

I find that it works well with a light rod, where all the reel actually does is store the line. I've used mine for bass, panfish, and trout in four states.

Not flashy, but they have always worked well for me, seem to hold up (the oldest one I have is around 12 years old), and are pretty low maintenance (I rinse them off every year or so...).

It has a servicable drag (if one should ever, for some odd reason, be needed for such a rig), holds a 3 wt. line plus some backing, and is VERY light (which is the point, at least for me, to use a very light reel with such a light rod).

At this price level, you can own several if you need different lines.

You can spend a lot more, but I can't see the point in this application.

Buddy

I have the same reel on a 6'6" Batson RX8 2 weight. I picked it up on ebay for $12. The beauty of it is that it weighs only 2.7 oz and doesn't have a bad drag at all. They aren't as common as they were, especially the cr-0001 model.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I had a opportunity to see and test both of the new TFO Prizm reels and was quite impressed. You're right they are not on their website yet, but I do know that my fly shop, Uptown Angler in New Orleans, has both in stock.

Go to the link below to read a copy of the TFO Press Release:

http://www.warmfly.com/index.php?opt...d=103&Itemid=2

Hopefully JC and Deanna won't mind me linking my website.

HD,

Sent you a PM.

Erik

My favorite 3 wt. reel is an Abel TR1 - they've been discontinued, but you can still find them around at a good discount. They're really worth looking for. Sweet and smooth click/pawl.
    Regards,
    Steve

An Ross Evolution 1 or Hardy Flyweight is what I use on my 3wts.

+ Reply to Thread