+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OT: For Anyone That Has Some Time To Give...Please Read

Default OT: For Anyone That Has Some Time To Give...Please Read

I saw this yesterday on Fox News and thought it a excellent idea and opportunity to help out injured soldiers.

So anyone that has some time check out this program and volunteer if you have a mind to...

http://projecthealingwaters.org/

Skip

PS I already contacted them!

Default Re: OT: For Anyone That Has Some Time To Give...Please Read

Skip,

Great idea. I'm already taking part at a local military facility.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Jim Slattery Guest

About the same time as The Walter Reed Scandal story broke I had a solider who was in the program purchase some tying supplies. At first I did not know he was a solider or had been hurt. After receiving his address I emailed him and he told me about his tour of duty, rehabilitation and the program. I consequently donated a bunch of Whiting Hackle to the soldiers at the Walter Reed Hospital. God bless them for risking their lives for our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Slattery
    About the same time as The Walter reed Scandal story broke I had a solider who was in the program purchase some tying supplies. At first I did not know he was a solider or had been hurt. After receiving his address I emailed him and he told me about his tour of duty, rehabilitation and the program. I consequently donated a bunch of Whiting Hackle to the soldiers at the Walter Reed Hospital. God bless them for risking their lives for our country.
    Hi Jim,

That was very nice!

I don't know if I have told the members here or not as my memory this last year has been not up to usual. My son was hit by and IED in Baghdad last Dec. 22nd. He has gone through a lot and will be rehabbing for maybe 4-5 more years. The blast took most of his buttocks, exposed his tail bone, femur, etc. He also had 3 rd. degree burns from just about the knee down to his ankles. He still can't move his left foot, but we are hopping that he can get a nerve graph and regain the use of his lower left leg/foot.

He joined after 9/11 at 30 something and got his green beret at 37. It was his second time in Iraq as he went in the first time with the 3rd. ID. They are the ones that took over the airport in Baghdad.

Anyway this injured soldier thing is close to my heart and I saw many of them at brook Army Medical Center in San Antonio while my son was there. They always seem to have a great attitude and there was some very sad stories as well.

He has not long ago moved from Ft. Campbell to Tampa at the base there looking to try and stay in for at least another 5 years. Hopes to get a job there that will cross over to a G job once he gets out. Since he's Special Forces he wants to work with them, but right now is working with SOCOM (injured soldiers).

Skip

Jim Slattery Guest

Hi Skip,
    It truely amazes me how soldliers like your son keep moving forward with there lives and remain determined to live life to the fullest. I am not so sure that I would have such courage. They are truly amazing human beings. Words can not express how proud I am of all our soldiers, willing to put their lives on the line, all day every day. It makes me proud to be an American.
    Humbly,
    Jim

+ Reply to Thread