+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Everyone, New rod for the wife.

Default Hi Everyone, New rod for the wife.

Hi Everyone,
    I have been reading all of the great information at this site and finally decided to join. I live outside of Philadelphia and fish central PA most often. My favorite place is Penn's Creek.

I do have a question to pose to the group. My wife wanted to learn to Fly Fish so I said I would support her efforts, but would have a hard time teaching her. She contacted Cathy Beck and took her class. She learned alot and would recomend it to anyone interested in learning. Now my problem. I made the mistake of letting her use my fast rods. She is fine nymph fishing but casting a dry fly is to tiring. My wife borrowed a friends Sage SPL 5 weight and loved it. She casted another friends Sage SLT but she really didn't like it as much as the SPL. I missed buying a SPL leftover at a local fly shop, so I have no idea what else to look at. I would like some recommendations on specific rods. I would like a 5wt 8.5 or 9ft 4 piece and very light. Price is not a real issue, it's for the wife but I would like to keep it under $ 500.00 for the rod we have a reel.

Thanks for the help.

smg:

Welcome aboard.

This isn't one of those Homer Simpson bowling ball for Marge's anniversary rods its it?

If so I commend you and support you to the fullest.

Might want to have her try the action on the VPS rods which are now being closed out at some nice prices around the net.

I'm with Dave.The FLi is a nice rod for under 300.00.
    John

JC said it best. Get her a gift certificate, or even just take her to the fly shop and let her loose with your credit card! My wife has the same problem with my fast action rods (sage RPL+ #6), she simply doesnt have the timing it takes to load them stiffies to get them to shoot. My wife can cast the Sage SPL, 9' #6 three piece better than the RPL, but the weight of the #6 fatigues her, and you can see it in the trailing loops that develop as a result. The Sage SPL's are nice, and not too fast action, so she probably liked it because of that. Plus it seems everyone likes an expensive rod! I did find my wife a G Loomis GL3, 9' #4, and she can cast tight loops with a #10 EHC all day long with that rod. So perhaps look at slower action rods for your wife, and by all means, have HER do the test casting.

Have fun, Jeff

------------------
    Tis my time on the water, in the mountains, and in my driftboat where I can see things as they really are.

smgfish,
    Your wife took a class. Go to the Becks store, talk to Kathy about her casting ability and purchase the rod that she recomends. You can't go wrong, your off the hook, your wife is being fitted by an expert, and your getting a fishing buddy.
    Lucky You,

------------------
    Don

Hi Smgfish,
    There are a few Sage SPLs at [url=http://www.tradenstuff.com/list/gear.htm.:0b4d2]http://www.tradenstuff.com/list/gear.htm.[/url:0b4d2] They have a 4wt 8'9" rod you might be interested in. Good-luck!

Thanks for the help everyone.

I like the reference to Homer Simpson buying Marge a bowling ball. I am not going to tell you I will never string the wifes rod for my own use, thats why the budget is flexible, but it really is for her.

I do want to have my wife look at both the Winston and Loomis rods. The only problem is finding a Winston dealer. I have two real good shops, one Orvis dealer and one Sage and Loomis dealer close by but the only Winston dealer is about an hour and a half away. I guess we will be taking a ride.

I was surprised that non of the many women who frequent this site made any recomendations on the rods they use.

Thanks again for the help, I am sure I will be asking more questions.

Steve.

Steve, you wondered why women weren't answering. So here's an answer from a woman:

Your wife might do best to do her own research, talk to people, cast some rods, and choose one all on her own. At least if I were your wife, I would want that. Gift certificate seems like a great idea to me.

That said, I'm happy for you that you have a partner who wants to fly fish. Oh, and I use a Reddington RedStart rod as well as a homemade smaller rod. The redstart purchase was made with an eye only to budget, no thought about my X chromosome. The other rod was made by someone before he ever met me and, again, no thought to whether it would best suit a man or a woman.

And.. finally, to your wife: Tight Lines!!

Diane

------------------
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW---What A Ride!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

All rightie! Here's another!
    I use St Croix rods, Hardy, Cabela's, Orvis and Diamondback. There're pluses and minuses to each one. I love my graphite rods. I love my glass rods. I love the ones I built. Long and short. (Hummmmm, I think I really have a thing about fly rods!) I wouldn't want anyone to choose a rod for me...maybe highlight the good and bad, but the final decision needs to be mine....after I've cast with them. Even the ones I built, I cast the rod before getting the blanks. All except for the Forecast 6'6".4piece,2# that I'm building now, but for $30, I figured I couldn't go too far wrong!
    Take her out to the different shops. Stand back and let her cast to her hearts desire, without thought (or at least not a lot of thought) to the names. She'll know which one, or ones, will suit her. Hand her the VISA card, and go home happy!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places

[This message has been edited by Betty Hiner (edited 03 August 2005).]
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I got a fly rod for my wife....

I thought it was a good trade.

+ Reply to Thread