+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sink tip or full sink line

Default Sink tip or full sink line

I have been doing alot of LM bass fishing this year. I primarily use a floating line but since the recent hot blast the fish have moved deeper (10 - 15'). Ordered an extra spool for my reel and when it comes I am going to get either a sink tip or full sink line. So I am asking around and would appreciate any opinions you may have as to which is better and why. Or am I just waisting my money?

Full Sink for ponds and lakes.
    Sink Tip for moving water.

Al

You might try building your own sink tip line just to experiment before you make your final purchase. If you know anyone with an old sink line, ask if they would donate 15' feet of it and loop it to the tip of your floating line. That could give you a feel for the experience of casting the heavier weight and just might be enough to get you down to the fish (depending of course on the depth of the water and where the fish are holding).

I would recommend trying the weighted lines before you invest in one...some adjust to the extra weight , some
    "chuck and duck" themselves right out of interest. [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/icons/icon9.gif:acdfc]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/icons/icon9.gif[/url:acdfc]

I fish almost exclusively for bass and panfish on lakes and ponds. I use a 12' sink tip line. Years ago I had a full sinking and didn't like it. I didn't have the patience it took for it to sink down to where I thought the fish were. Also, I don't fish depths of more than 10' with my fly rod. I also use those sinking poly leaders by Climax.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I fish almost exclusivly with sinking lines in lakes although very little for bass. A sinking line (full sink) that matches your rod will cast just fine! no chuck and duck at all. I would recamend somthing in a med. sink rate. and there is no need to buy a tapered line as the small diamiter of a level sinking line will pass threw the guides just fine for a long cast. the fast sinking lines will take you down quicker but will also pass through the target area faster.a level sinking line will cost you less than 20.00 My choice would be a level SA. that sinks 3-5 inch a second. (#2 sink rate)

Rich

I second Flexes suggestion because if you lose the line to a bad snag, you'll only be out 10-15 bucks instead 60 bucks.

The thing that you need to consider is: how fast do you want to sink?

Although I have a sink-tip line, the sinking polyleaders work well for me. And they are a H--- of a lot cheaper. I have sometimes wished I had tried the polyleaders *before* spending 60 bucks on a sink-tip.

Thanks for the ideas and opinions everyone. I stopped at the fly shop to talk to some of the Old Furts there to get theirs also. The shop had one of those Cortland mini head kits for 40% off ($5.00) so I bought that to try. The way it seems it is one of those personal preference things.
    If this works out I'm not sure what I will be loading on my new spool once it shows up (it's been back orderd again ).

I have several Orvis floating lines that have morphed into sinking lines after a years use.

+ Reply to Thread