+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WF5F of DT5F?

Default WF5F of DT5F?

I have a fast action 9' 5wt and I need a new line. I'll be fishing mostly smaller - med size streams in PA, NY and NJ. What do you guys think? (I'm kinda new to fly fishing)

Default Re: WF5F of DT5F?

You might want to read this current thread...the link in it is interesting...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/v...t=21374&hilit=

If your stream are small, and your casts are under 35 ft, there really is no difference between the two. Since most WF lines have a 6-10 ft front taper, and then a 25-30 ft belly, they would be the same as a DT for the first 30-35 feet. If your casts will be longer sometimes, go with the WF, it will be easier to cast a long distance, due to the smaller running line diameter.

One thing to remember is that all lines are designed to be a certain weight in the first 30 feet. A 5 wt line is a 5wt in the first 30 ft, but if you have 40 ft outside the tiptop, the line is actually a 6 wt. The opposite is true if you are making a 20 ft cast.

Lastly, a fast action rod can typically be overlined very easily. I have a 7 wt Sage XP that can cast an 8 wt line with ease. If I am fishing the Texas Coast (where it is always windy), I will use an 8 wt line to help with the wind.

Good Luck!!

I would also overline the rod, easier to load at short distances to fish the small streams but enough oomph to get out a cast on a larger stream.
    I also find the slowing of the action helps me with my timing with the heavier weighted streamers we use here i n New England.

Dave

nighthawk Guest

Small, brush choked, freestone, limestone creeks with gin clear water. Lots of fishing pressure on very spooky native brooks and browns. Distance is not that critical but presentation is. Go with the Double Taper, at least that's what I do. You won't need that weight forward line unless you hit some of the larger rivers and lakes. No matter what taper you choose you should consider buying a spare spool for your reel and lining it with the other taper. You will then have one of each.

Please excuse my manners. I should have said welcome to FAOL, so, welcome to FAOL!

if you can do this: make several casts with the DT and then the WF - short casts, long casts, roll casts.
    You will get your answer. Hopefully, you know someone who has lines and you can try this.

For very little investment you could pick up a couple of those factory second lines ...$9.50 ...I picked up a DT just to lawn practice...

This question comes up a lot. A lot of visitors to this site miss this:

www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/dtvswf.html

+ Reply to Thread