+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madison Wisconsin Fishing

Default Madison Wisconsin Fishing

I may be taking a trip to Madison and was wondering what fishing opportunities are there? Any advice or reccomendations would be great. Also if any of you live near there let me know and the places that you like (not your secret places of course).
    Drew

------------------
    A bum-legged old man and a drunk. That's all you got?
    That's WHAT I got.
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

You didn't say when you may be in Madison and I assume that you will be targeting trout. 1 to 2 hours west of Madison will put you in "Gods Country" with plenty of spring creeks. I'm giving you a link to the DNR trout reg web site. There you can view all that WI has to offer. Oh and as a point of reference Madison is in Dane County
    [url=http://dnr.wi.gov/org/water/fhp/fish/regulations/2005/troutsalmon.shtml:a47dd]http://dnr.wi.gov/org/water/fhp/fish/regulations/2005/troutsalmon.shtml[/url:a47dd]

Hope this helps.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Magneto (edited 31 July 2005).]

Wisconsin has a 36 page booklet that they will mail you (free), that shows every trout stream in Wisconsin (over 18 pages of the most detailed maps) and what you can find in each stream and the regulations governing each section of of a specific water course.

~ Parnelli
    Chartered Member of "Friends of FAOL"!

Down in the meadow in a little bitty pool
    Swam three little fishies and a mama fishie too
    "Swim" said the mama fishie, "Swim if you can"
    And they swam and they swam all over the dam

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 01 August 2005).]

I'm moving to this area at the end of this month. Can't wait to get out there and fish those Spring Creeks, at least for a month before the season closes.

... remember that there are still salmonids to pursue after the inland season has ended. In October, it's time to head towards the Great Lakes for salmon and steelhead. Not all of the waters get over-crowded either. Great fun, and only a couple hours away from Madison.

[This message has been edited by troutgeek (edited 01 August 2005).]

I'm actually moving more towards the western part of the state, near Lacrosse. I have been planning on getting a Steelhead/Salmon rig when I get out there and do a few weekend trips and try for thos fish. Also I haven't checked into it, but I'm hoping that the Minnesota trout season stay open a little longer.

Minnesota's season ends at the same time but the C&R season opens earlier. Iowa has season stays open all year and is not that far away from LaCrosse

Thanks!

Ok, I thank everyone for their help. The dates I will be there are September 29-October 2, that is a Thursday, Friday, Sat. and Sunday. Does this help as far as where to go, and what to fish for? Parnelli is the booklet that they send you found at the DNR site? If not where can I get it? I have never been to Wisconsin, so I am excited about going, I have heard great things about it.
    Drew

------------------
    A bum-legged old man and a drunk. That's all you got?
    That's WHAT I got.
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

The link that I gave you had everything that you could ask for and more. It has all the trout streams listed in category, for every county in Wisconsin. It lists the season dates and any special regulations. The map that you see when you click on the link is down-loadable in PDF format.

Now having said that, your arrival will unfortunately be the very last weekend of inland trout season, But you can fish for Salmon, Lake Run Browns and of course Steelhead. (maybe a little early for Steelhead) You will find these species on select tributaries to Lake Michigan, and Lake Superior. You can of course fish for warm water species as well.

Like I said, check the link that I offered in my earlier post.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread