+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why we own so many fly rods...

1. Default Why we own so many fly rods...

I thought it interesting, in light of the Orvis Helix debate raging below, that this morning I read a fascinating piece from the 1890s on one of my favorite sites showing just how little had changed in the past century.

http://fishinghistory.blogspot.com/

As "Sport" declared in the Helix post, "The only reason to buy the latest, most expensive rod out there is because you can." The more things change the more they stay the same.

Or maybe more appropriate is what Joe Valencic wrote, you need a rod for "Lightwieght panfish situations...Small streams...etc." Even back then we didn't need much of an excuse to add a rod or two (or twelve) to our arsenal. Today things are the same--and we keep buying these rods, whether they are a serviceable Cabelas rod or a top shelf Winston or Orvis model.

Although I don't think I'd enjoy casting a 17 foot 32 ounce rod!

Tight Lines,

Deke

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Default Re: Why we have own many fly rods...

Hey Deke - great article!

Although it's hard not to chuckle at the following excerpt:

"Of rods used in fresh water angling, bass and trout fly rods of split bamboo cost $1 to $75 each. The rod for $75 would owe its cost not to expensive mountings, but to the material and workmanship, which would be of the best. There are rods with costly mountings that are sold at far higher prices, but these are made usually for presentation. Salmon rods of split bamboo sell at $30 to $55 and grilse rods for less than salmon rods."

Ah...we should be so lucky!
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Default Re: Why we have own many fly rods...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmadsen
    Hey Deke - great article!

Although it's hard not to chuckle at the following excerpt:

"Of rods used in fresh water angling, bass and trout fly rods of split bamboo cost $1 to $75 each. The rod for $75 would owe its cost not to expensive mountings, but to the material and workmanship, which would be of the best. There are rods with costly mountings that are sold at far higher prices, but these are made usually for presentation. Salmon rods of split bamboo sell at $30 to $55 and grilse rods for less than salmon rods."

Ah...we should be so lucky!

Yes, but you'd probably be making $10 a week at your job then.

Default Re: Why we own so many fly rods...

Different conditions I guess, at least for me. Small water, big water, wind, and overhead brush to contend with. It never stops with the conditions you are facing with trout fishing. I fish AR my home to CO, WY and MT it does change from one area to the next.
    I was born at night, but not last night.
    Odds are with the prepared...

I don't own that many. I have a St. Croix Premier (bottom end import) that I used while learning,
    A Scott G2 9' 5wt a Sage SLT 77'6" 3wt, and a 30 year old Eagle Claw Fibreglass 8" 7wt.

I feel well covered for any fishing I'm likely to encounter with the 3, 5, and 7 wt rods.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

For me it's more down to location and size of fish that determines the rod. I have enough to sink a battleship and some I've tested but never fished with.

Out of all the rods I own there's a key 3 or 4 I'd use above all else

For small streams and brooks it'll be an Orvis Superfine 6'6" #2
    Small to medium rivers a Winston BIIt 8' #4
    Everything else within reason I'll plum for a Winston BIIx 9' #5

Anything over the #5 given the quarry it'll be a Beulah rod in the 9' range

I don't so much think about the conditions, I just want the fish to bend the rod.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1
    I don't own that many. I have a St. Croix Premier (bottom end import) that I used while learning,
    A Scott G2 9' 5wt a Sage SLT 77'6" 3wt, and a 30 year old Eagle Claw Fibreglass 8" 7wt.

I feel well covered for any fishing I'm likely to encounter with the 3, 5, and 7 wt rods.

Jeff
    You speak of the St Croix Premier like it's a red-headed step child. I have fished a 6wt Premier for many years and caught many fish like this using it:

13# steelhead on the Premier is my heaviest fish. If you are no longer using it, perhaps I could find a good home for it for you.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

You speak of the St Croix Premier like it's a red-headed step child.
    Joe,
    I sure didn't mean it to come across that way. I've caught a lot of fish with it and still use it. It's a 5wt and I like the Scott 5wt better but I sure do not feel "under gunned" with the St. Croix.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

St. Croix Imperial
    I have a St. Croix Imperial 8.6 Ft - 5 wt. that I keep going back to over and over again. I have some custom made rods, made several of my own and have fished some high end rods, but that Imperial feels the best in my hands. I don't know why?

The arsenal always seems to be lacking for some reason. I know I have enough rods, but sometimes I wonder...."what if"...

We have all cast at least one that wasn't ours that put that bug in our brain. As far as addictions go...it could be worse!

+ Reply to Thread