+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: off topic Anyone tried this oil-less deep fryer from Char-Br

nighthawk Guest

Default off topic Anyone tried this oil-less deep fryer from Char-Br

The better half has given her official blessing for me to buy a turkey deep fryer. Having been in travel center and restaurant management I am all too well aware of how dangerous the oil type fryers are. With our infirmities I am was little reluctant to purchase one of these fryers until I came across this one:

http://www.charbroil.com/thebigeasy/

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... 1-07101366

By the time I buy the oil and fryer that I want I would end up with about $105.00 invested. This unit would cost a little more at the outset but I will not need the pump, filters and, of course, oil. In addition to the hazards of hot oil some of the folks I serve may well be allergic to peanut and cotton seed oil. From a health standpoint the fact that this fryer does not use oil is also a big plus for us.

What say you folks? Anybody have any experience with this unit? Any thoughts on the subject?

Normand Guest

Default Re: off topic Anyone tried this oil-less deep fryer from Char-Br

not enough money in my wallet to justify buying one and the oven in the kitchen stove still works, so i guess its not for me.

Blog Entries

If it works as advertised! Which I supposed is what your question is all about.

I can cook a turkey in my oven to be as tasty and moist as the claims for this rig suggest.

I can think of five good reasons for buying this rig.

1. In summertime when you don't want to over heat your house by turning on the oven. You could do a roast outside which would be a welcome break from the cold cuts, hot dogs and potato salads that are the usual summer fare.

2. It looks quite safe and looks like it would be great for family camping. You could roast almost anything in it without worrying about setting the forest aflame. ( we regularly get open campfire bans each summer )

3. It would be a lot cheaper than using all that oil

4. I have always thought that all that boiling oil near open flame is a really really bad idea.

5. I suppose it is healthier than deep fried food too.

6. And this is just me, but I don't like the taste of deep fried turkey, dispite what my brother in law says , it just doesn't do it for me.

I am eagerly looking forward to an unbiased review from someone other than the manufacturers video. Which is after all, always a bit suspect.

Ps. Nighthawk , thanks for the post. My better 3/4's has given me the green light to get one if I can prove it works ok.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Normand
    not enough money in my wallet to justify buying one and the oven in the kitchen stove still works, so i guess its not for me.
    Norm,
    You actually kind of hit things right on the head. We rent and the land lord's oven is not in good shape. I have a choice of buying a new oven and then having that to move eventually, trying to get the land lord to buy something decent or get the turkey fryer. Since we already have the char broiler and electric oven I think it makes more sense for me to get the fryer. Completes the ensemble and is easier to move.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer
    If it works as advertised! Which I supposed is what your question is all about.

I can cook a turkey in my oven to be as tasty and moist as the claims for this rig suggest.

I can think of five good reasons for buying this rig.

1. In summertime when you don't want to over heat your house by turning on the oven. You could do a roast outside which would be a welcome break from the cold cuts, hot dogs and potato salads that are the usual summer fare.

2. It looks quite safe and looks like it would be great for family camping. You could roast almost anything in it without worrying about setting the forest aflame. ( we regularly get open campfire bans each summer )

3. It would be a lot cheaper than using all that oil

4. I have always thought that all that boiling oil near open flame is a really really bad idea.

5. I suppose it is healthier than deep fried food too.

6. And this is just me, but I don't like the taste of deep fried turkey, dispite what my brother in law says , it just doesn't do it for me.

I am eagerly looking forward to an unbiased review from someone other than the manufacturers video. Which is after all, always a bit suspect.

Ps. Nighthawk , thanks for the post. My better 3/4's has given me the green light to get one if I can prove it works ok.

I agree 100%! We cook outdoors year round, heat, snow and cold does not matter. We also like capons, hams and turkey year round. Someone here is a turkey junkie but I won't name any names, ahem, ahem.

I think these will taste more like rotisserie than deep fried. YUM,YUM!!

nighthawk Guest

reviews:

http://www.thisnext.com/item/5DC72C7D/C ... sy-Oilless

http://charbroilgrilling.com/?p=295

Lowes has the best price so far. I am going to order mine shortly. That's right, i am taking the plunge here. Perhaps I can get that gourmet of the salt water gills from Ohio to help me try it out. How about it, Mike?

Hi,

Looks like a small gas oven, and should cook fine.

Things I would want to know are, how big of a turkey it could hold? It looks small to me, but that could just be the images. Also, I would think the skin is going to stick to the wire basket, so when you pull it out all that crispy "oh so tasty and bad for you at the same time" skin will be torn away (and hard to clean up). That always makes the bird look less appealing (though it still tastes great). Can you still do stuffing with this?

Unfortunatley, these are the sort of questions that can only be answered by someone who has used one!

If you're only looking to get something for occasional use, it might be ok.
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHamm
    Hi,

Looks like a small gas oven, and should cook fine.

Things I would want to know are, how big of a turkey it could hold? It looks small to me, but that could just be the images. Also, I would think the skin is going to stick to the wire basket, so when you pull it out all that crispy "oh so tasty and bad for you at the same time" skin will be torn away (and hard to clean up). That always makes the bird look less appealing (though it still tastes great). Can you still do stuffing with this?

Unfortunately, these are the sort of questions that can only be answered by someone who has used one!

If you're only looking to get something for occasional use, it might be OK.
    I am certain some Pam on the rack will cure any sticking problems along with a butter based rub ( butter ,lemon, garlic, salt and pepper). Char Broil claims it will do up to a 16 pound bird. Like the man in their video says you won't have the oil so you can use rubs as well as marinades.

As with most deep fryers I would think you do the stuffing outside of the bird. However, unlike oil fryers, you can recover the juice stock from the drip pan to season your stuffing and make great gravy! Man, I am getting excited!

Hi,

16 lbs bird is plenty big! And, if you can prevent the sticking pulling off the skin, then I would say go for it. Being able to make gravy as well is a bonus. I would be interested in hearing how it turns out.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHamm
    Hi,

16 lbs bird is plenty big! And, if you can prevent the sticking pulling off the skin, then I would say go for it. Being able to make gravy as well is a bonus. I would be interested in hearing how it turns out.

- Jeff

Jeff,
    You got it! I will post a review and some pictures soon as I get it done. Now, being from New Zealand I am betting that you could do one beautiful leg of lamb in that thing! It may not be real easily portable but like a great char broiler it will get used often.

+ Reply to Thread