+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bad luck with Cabelas

Default Re: Bad luck with Cabelas

Bob,

I'll bet you never expected such a tough crowd when you posted. I think they call that Tough Love.

I have a question; how have you kept the toe of those boots looking like new, and the wear & tear is all on the top of the boot? I agree that it looks like damage from a toe shift, but I believe you if you say you don't drive an atv or motorcycle. I guess it's a mysterious enigma.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I'd ask to speak with a supervisor, have them review my purchase history and I'd demand a call tag and a refund or new boots. Yep, that's one way to go about it. Works too 'cause they get all excited once they see you've spent thousands of dollars with them over the years....on the other hand....if I'd gotten that much use from them I'd prolly say nothing. Kinda looks like you'll be able to keep wearing them for years to come. Maybe some aquaseal along that scraped area would arrest any further deterioration....however....they sure look comfy...what size are they Bob and do you see yourself visiting the west coast anytime soon?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I owned a pair of kangaroo hide boots that I wore until my bride threw them in the trash because they got so ugly (not to mention they had a particular "odour"to them). No doubt the most comfortable field boots I ever owned. I think they were from Mason Shoe back in the early 70's. Probably wore them for almost 10 years. Never wore the sole out because they were always worn hunting small game.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Doesn't that One-Year Warranty thing come from the manufacturer? Since Cabelas doesn't actually manufacture any products, how could they offer a warranty?

From the picture, the boots have had hard use, and don't look like they've been mainained much. To keep boots for a long time (I still have a pair of Combat Boots from my USMC days that have been re-soled 9 times!), they have to be polished regularly, treated with mink oil, etc....UV light can damage leather even when you're not wearing the boots, so they need to be stored in a box, in a closet, cleaned polished and treated after every use. That's only if you want to keep them for a long time. I realize that's more work than what most people want to put in to it, but I can't help it. I was a Marine and I still have this compulsion about polishing and cleaning anything that can be polished or cleaned. It drives my wife and kids nuts sometimes.

I don't think Cabelas is at fault here. Perhaps they could've been made better, but with out proper care, no boot will last more than a few years.

It's OK to vent. I've bought stuff and thought it should've lasted longer myself. Best thing is to try a different model or brand next time.

Just my opinion,

Semper Fi!

Bob:

While I don't necessarily agree with satisfaction on a 5 year old, out of warranty boot; I know where you are coming from with how many times you actually WORE the boots.

I have ALWAYS got better satisfaction from Cabela's at a store versus over the phone or via e-mail. I don't know if they out-source their phone/e-mail customer service or not but the folks in the store are a lot more willing to bend the rules.

Good luck!

BTW - As the grandson of a shoemaker I have to point out that the stitching in question is on the upper VAMP or APRON stitching found on moccasin construction; not the welt. A GOOD shoemaker can easily cut and stitch a thin strip of leather over that worn section and dye it to match. I won't look that bad since there is probably one edge already from the apron.

Cool Bamboozle,

This is why I love this website. Now why didn't they tell me that? I'll have it done right away - and with a suitable material. Strange grass and ferns could wear out the "vamp" so easily - which is the whole point of my original post.

Godspeed,

Bob

I think the suggestion to take the boots to a shoe repair shop is an excellent one. these boots could probable be good as new for less than twenty bucks.

My spouse frequents shoe repair shops for all manner of repairs to shoes, wallets, purses, belts, suitcases, jackets, etc. etc. Always a fitting durable repair at low cost compared to new purchase.

It's for this reason I will buy a more expensive WELT sole boot. ( The sole is sewn, not glued to the uppers.) A welt sole is the only type of boot that can be resoled. I've had a pair of Rocky cordura nylon boots for >18 years. Originally cost $140. New soles, 5 years ago, cost $50, and they are still good as new. (I do occassionally sew up a few small rips and apply superglue to the mends to keep the uppers intact.)

nighthawk Guest

I have yet to deal with them over the phone but I can tell you that the staff at their Hamburg, Pa. store is wonderful! I have purchased Rockey Hiker Steel Toe boots, Wolverine King Caribou II 1,000 gram ThinSulate boots, Cabela's 15" cordura uninsulated snake proof boots and my Cabela's Dry Plus G-II boot foot waders there. No problems getting help with any of the gear I bought there.

I suggest the next time you can go to one of their stores take the boots with you. My bet is they will be replaced on the spot or at least a discount given even on five year old boots.

One last recap and I will blow this pop stand.

I have a pair of Kangeroo hide boots I paid close to $150 for. I took excellent care of them, used mink oil every time I came back, stored them in their original box, and only wore them 2-3 times a year for upland hunting. I forgot to mention that I didn't hunt at all 2 of those 5 years because I was hit head on by a drunk driver and couldn't hunt untill a year after my neck surgery. So they had very light usage. And I don't own an ATV with a toe shifter.

This year the "vamps" wore completly through from contact with only grass and ferns. Considering my first pair of upland boots lasted almost 20 years with similar usage, I was somewhat disappointed. I e-mailed Cabelas and was told that they only honored the 1 year warranty and that I should just buy another pair. After all, they lasted five years. What do you expect anyway?

IMHO the boots are poorly built (in China) and out of poor quality leather. I am taking them to a shoe repair shop tomorrow to see if they can sew in a proper vamp that is solid leather rather than a thin layer stuffed with white cotton. I would take them to Cabelas but it is and hour and a half one way. $60 gas round trip.

This is the first time I have posted a complaint on this site and the results have been interesting. Bamboozle and Joe V. had some real good suggestions as did others. Some people worked harder at finding nothing wrong with the boots or Cabelas but something wrong with me. And thats okay too. If I ask for an opinion I should expect an opinion - regardless. Anyway, I got it off my chest and I feel a lot better. Even if I still think those boots are a piece of ____.

Thank you all for your time and opinions. It has been a journey.

Godspeed,

Bob

Hi Bobinmich,

Well, there you go. I had just wondered about the water proofing and I see in you posted as I was writing and you indicate that you had been doing that each trip. It does look to me like the stuffing has retained water and that probably rotted the leather over time. If water proofing doesn't prevent that, then when you get them repaired (they certainly look worth repairing), see if they can be replaced with something that doesn't have a water retaining stuffing for the top rib section.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread