+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decorations

Deezel Guest

Default Decorations

I'm going to tie 12 flies and place each one in glass Christmas tree ornamental bulb. Each bulb is 2 inches in diameter and has an access hole that's about 1/2 inch diameter. Excluding the married winged 'full-dressed' Atlantic Salmon fly patterns, hair and single feather wings are okay, what pattern would you definitely include among the 12? Remember, each one has to fit into a 1/2 inch hole.

Deezel

2. Default Re: Decorations

I think that is a fun project. Although my wife would kill me, as she trully feels that fly fishing is a dark influence o

Default Re: Decorations

I have done that for the past two years, and got the idea from Betty Hiner. One fly that should be strongly considered is Betty's Christmas Hummingbird. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... 6fotw.html I tied these up in various colors and gave them as gifts last Christmas. They were a big hit, as you might imagine. Get to the craft stores early as they don't always have a lot of clear bulbs to choose from.

I have also tied the Royal Christmas in some pretty large sizes to fill the bulb. This fly was designed by commercial tier Julie Nielson of Rockford, Michigan. http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4478 Very colorful using vibrant Christmas reds & greens.

Thanks for the reminder. Time to use the Michael's 40% off coupon in this week's paper to get some bulbs.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

My favorite would be a Renous Special, nice shade of green for the body and red butt, definitely Christmasy.

Dwight

Any number of flies can be tied for ornaments. As long as the hook can be finagled into the neck of the ornament, the feathers will straighten out once inside. Michael's crafts has glass balls on the shelves now. Square, round, heart shaped, flat, ... you name it, they got it!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I've never done this, but one thought that could make it easier to fit almost any size fly would be to cut the hook point off. You could then fit a bigger fly into the bulb
    Leave No Trace

I can't believe you folks aren't tying them inside the bulb...the way the boat builders do

I tend to put Royal Wulffs with white wings, Fan-Wing Royal Coachmans, Coffin Fly, and White Wulffs.
    Light color and multi color flies can be seen best. Dark flies can be very hard to see, more so if you plan on hanging them on a Christmas tree.
    Joe Fox

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    I can't believe you folks aren't tying them inside the bulb...the way the boat builders do

What?!?! You mean some one is tying them OUTSIDE and stuffing them IN??? Where's the sport in THAT?!??
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

As soon as I can figure out how to get the vise into the bulb......hmmmmmmm
    Brook trout always remind me that there must be a higher power.

Dale

+ Reply to Thread