+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad luck with Cabelas

Default Bad luck with Cabelas

My first ever complaint against Cabelas:

Bought a pair of Cabelas brand lightweight kangaroo upland boots. I hunt maybe 2-3 times a year for maybe 2-3 days each trip. I have had the boots maybe 4-5 years. So that is 16 ? 45 times that I have worn them. Look at the welts. Completely worn out. That?s the white stuffing showing through. Rest of the boot is fine, those are even the original laces.

So I e-mailed Cabelas. It went back and forth a few times during which I was informed that Kangaroo boots wear better than regular leather and that if I was not satisfied, I should have contacted them in the 1 year warranty period. I certainly would have if I was clairvoyant. And IMHO kangaroo doesn't wear very well compared to cow leather. I would recommend you not buy this product.

So, tough luck. If you are unhappy with our product, buy someone else?s next time.

If I hadn?t had such good luck with Cabelas before, I probably would heed their advice.

Bob Bolton

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bad luck with Cabelas

5 years...I think you got plenty of use out of them.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

There is obvious scuffing around the area in question, maybe it's the way you walk or rest your foot. Besides they are 5 year old shoes!! What did you expect?? A new pair for free??
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I guess you guys are right. I am just a miscreant. If I used a flyrod twenty or thirty times, I would expect a failure. If I wore a business suit 20 or 30 times, I should expect the knees to wear thru (especially where I worked ). And no I didn't expect a new pair but I guess I expected some concern about their product. And I have had real leather boots last 20 years with only occasional use. I think it was the kangeroo leather stitching and stuffing in the welt. Well, made in China. Like I said, it must be me. I just had to vent.

Godspeed

Bob

"Just a guess", but by the quite obvious black marks right around this "point of failure", and the fact, it seems to to be a left boot......... I'm guessing, then, that this was also your "ATV shifting-with boot?"
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Normand Guest

looks like real leather boots are gonna be on your christmas list!

my question is how many mile did you put on the boots in the 45 time you wore them. Like tires they only have so many mile in them.
    Ghost.

That's one thing I dislike Cabela's! The one year warranty on most of their products. That's why I prefer to pay a bit more for better warranty products. I bought a pair Chota SLT Plus and after 1 1/2 years I noticed that the stitching in the back of one boot was coming apart and it ripped at the stitching on the other boot. I talked to Chota Customer Service and they had me send them in. A week later I had a brand new pair of Chota SLT Plus Wading Boots! They informed me that the stitching should not have come apart and the ripped leather was not acceptable on the other one. It only cost me the shipping charge to them. Now that's a company that backs their products! That's why I stick with Sage Rods, Ross Reels, Dyna-King Vises, Simms, Fort Shockley Fly Tying Stations, some Orvis and LL Bean products. It's not to say there are not other great Customer Service Companies, these are the companies that I know that have great Customer Services.

But this does little to help you because you're dealing with hunting boots. I feel your pain! Take-care.

Years ago, I used to put 100 to 120 miles a week on a pair of kangroo leather training shoes. The soles would wear out but the uppers kept on trucking. I could be wrong about this, but I believe kangaroo leather became illegal to import somewhere in the early 70's. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Steve

I dunno why cabelas would say that that kangaroo wears better... it is softer, thinner, more supple, a very nice leather for wallets and belts and nice shoes, and would make nice soft boots. I think you got a fair run out of these for a soft leather. I bet they were comfy!

Oh, you did say they were "lightweight" too.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

+ Reply to Thread