+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hook-Keepers

Deezel Guest

Default Hook-Keepers

Okay, curiosity has gotten the better of me so I?ll ask you more experienced and or knowledgeable rod builders. Why are hook-keepers(H-K) not made in a single foot(SF) configuration? Why can?t you simply use the smallest SF guide for the H-K? It can?t be the angle because Fuji makes a collapsible H-K that opens to a perpendicular angle to the blank. Maybe it simply isn't small enough? Has anyone built a rod using the smallest SF guide as a H-K? If so, any comment(s) about it?

Deezel

Default Re: Hook-Keepers

Hi Deezel.

Ihop you don't need a hook keeper- If you use one it kinkes the leader. Try stringing the leader around the reel and back up to first or second stripper guide. no kinks in leader.

Regards

John
    Fish like predator.

Blog Entries

Golden Witch carries a single foot keeper that sounds just like you are looking for.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Deezel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JAd
    Hi Deezel.

I hope you don't need a hook keeper- If you use one it kinkes the leader. Try stringing the leader around the reel and back up to first or second stripper guide. no kinks in leader.

Regards

John

Thanks John. I'm aware of that method but your suggestion doesn't answer what I asked. By the way, the kink is usually minimal, temporary and that method is only true when the line is beyond the tip top.

Deezel

Actually, there is one that is made as a single foot. I think the last ones I got were English made and they worked quite well. Since then, I went to a store that sells jewelry making supplies and found almost the same thing in nickel that works just as well. Interesting, on the part about use/non use of hook keepers, I have 13 or 14 Grangers and none of them ever had one on them....

Blog Entries

Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I use single foot RECoil fly guides all the time. In addition, to the link posted above ... Mud Hole carries a few varieties if I remember correctly.

Deezel,

I got two rod kits from Cabela's this summer. One was a St. Croix and one was a Sage. Both came with a single foot hook keeper. You might take a look at their web site....Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

I thought I was the only one. This is a 10wt and a 5 wt with single foot guide hook keepers to match guides. I keep a bag of SF guides (mostly the smallest size, some bigger for rods that might see some big 2/0 flies).
    The only problem I see is when using a heavy shooting head line the running line can come over the rod and wrap around the HK while the line is shooting out. Happens a couple times a day when casting all day. Minor details, never had a problem on a trout rod.

Deezel,
    Here's a link..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

+ Reply to Thread