+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slab Crappie and a very hungry LMB

Default Slab Crappie and a very hungry LMB

Warmwater fishing has drawn to a close here in WNY. A large portion of my fishing this summer was done at my friends 1.5 acre pond, and most of those times I tagged along with my three and a half year old son. I'm happy to say that he did land his first fly (and bobber) caught fish (a sunny of course!), but the rest of the time we used worms, grubs or what ever other critters he could grab. We built a summer full of memories, and I would like to share a few pictures of some of these fish that he caught.
    This LMB was caught on a night crawler, the picture is a little grainy, but notice the mouse that he had lodged in his throut when we caught him on the worm! This catch was his favorite fish story to tell to others.

The next is of a 14" Crappie, again caught on a crawler. Twice I caught very similar size Crappies (maybe even the same one since we C&R) in the exact same spot.

He, for obvious reasons has become enamored with fishing, and has caused my enjoyment of the sport to rise to new levels.
    If you can, next chance you get, take a kid fishing.
    Tom.

Default Re: Slab Crappie and a very hungry LMB

Scooter-

Excellent job! My favorite "takemefishing" picture is a Dad sitting on his lazy in his lazy-boy and the kid is just aching to go!!! We can really make a difference in the little people's lives if we spend some time outside with them!!!

I am a scoutmaster here in Omaha and my favorite activity (to indulge the boys AND me) is to go fishing. We can fly-fish, fish with minnows, etc... The great thing is this also gets them one step closer to Eagle!!! In a week we are going on an orienteering adventure to catch some trout and cook a few. All of this stuff helps them out plus they are ecstatic to do it too!

Next, a rod and reel set-up, a vise and before you know it you will be taking him to Alaska or New Zealand! Way to go Scooter!!!

PS That would be a great story to catch a bucket-mouth with a mouse tail hanging out of his belly!!!

Great photos. It sounds awesome to have made those memories for both of you. Obviously, you treasure those moments and I'll bet he will too someday. And I'll bet those fish were great fun on that little rod and reel pictured with the crappie.
    Nice fish, I'd be happy catching em!
    Leave No Trace

Great shot of the LMB with mouse.

It sounds like you and your boy can look forward to some great times on the water. That's very cool.

And credit to you for letting someone that young use your rod and reel!

peregrines

Hey, that looks like the Spiderman special!
    I participated in a kiddie rod derby this year and caught two humpies using that rod.

You are correct GreenFish, that is a Spiderman rod!, and peregrines, what kinda dad would I be if I didn't let junior use my fishin' pole?! Anyhow, that rod is the subject of another fish story. One day, he, being a three year old "dropped" it off of the dock into the water. No problem, dad'll get it, there's a bobber attached. I grabbed my fly rod and just as I was ready to pick up the line with the rod tip the bobber dissappears! So I'm laughing, trying to spot the bobber so I can grab it, but no luck. Now, it's a $10 stick, no great loss, right? Well, not if your kid is standing behind you on the verge of tears. Just then I see the bobber and make a grab for it. I pull it out and sure enough there was a sunny attached! So Dad saves the day and everyone's happy. So now every time I take him fishing or if he even sees a body of water, he asks" Dad, do you think if I dropped my rod in that water we'd get it back?"
    Tom.

Scooter,
    That's a really cool shot of that LM bass w/a mouse in his gullet! Those kinds of things always amaze me....that a bass will actually take/swallow a mouse. The fish must really crush with some force on the take!

A few seasons ago I saw a VERY large LM come a foot out of the water for a Redwing Blackbird perched "juuust" out of reach!

I was bass-bugging with a Dahl. Diver and happened to be looking right at the spot where he came up. Amazing...The bird fluttered, dipped a bit but took off! I just grinned to myself after realizing I was standing there, rod in hand just gawking....

Nice big crappie too.

Jeremy.

+ Reply to Thread