+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bamboo Finishing steps

Default Bamboo Finishing steps

Okay I have the reel seats, and cork handle and have the guides and stripper guide, my question is: do I put the finish on the bamboo rod blank before the wrapping of the guides or do I wrap then finish the rod as a whole.
    What I want is a classical finish were the rod looks natural, with maybe a wax finish and the wraps are delicately finished so as to appear painted on. I am using Pearsalls Gossemer silk, and what type of wrap finish is another question, along with what type of bamboo finish, some have said Spar with Tung Oil and some say Tung Oil alone, I am wanting a finish that will withstand fishing, and also be beautifull for a very long time, as this is a gift for my husband from an illfated Orvis Bamboo rod, I bought a while back and unable to be fished till I finish it.

Thank you guys for all the help you have given me.

Default Re: Bamboo Finishing steps

If you are going for the classic look, put the finish on the boo prior to wrapping then very very carefully apply the finish to the wraps with a small artists brush...Depending on that Orvis that you have (type and year) it is probably impregnated anyway. If so, a nice buffing job will give you all the finish you need on it. I use a combination of Spar varnish (not a urethane), tung oil, Penetrol and a little turpentine to kick it a little, and apply the coats thinly so that I get a nice even looking wrap with no build up look to it.

Thank you, I was yhinking the finish should go on the rod first but wanted to make perfectly sure. The old Orvis is stictly Boo, no impregnation, very excellent rod, except for the condition whomever had it had treated it, had to do some set straighting, and that did a excellent job, cant tell it ever had a set now.
    The classic look is what I wanted, and I am so excited about working on the finishing touches, I cant stand it, but its going to take time, and the end project will be wonderfull.

Thanks for your help and I appreciate all the advice from you guys who know..

kayakfish,

You want to be absolutely sure that this rod is NOT impregnated before you varnish it. They began impregnating in 1942 and you can see an awful lot of Orvis cane rods before you ever bump into one that was not impregnated. There impregnated bamboo rods have a consistent chocolate brown color, and I'd tell you what their non-impregnated rods look like... but I've never seen one. They ONLY offer impregnated rods now and I believe it's been that way for quite a while, although I am no historian. Anyway, I just wanted you to be sure since these rods weren't meant to have varnish on them and it might look a bit "off". That super low profile guide wrap finish you spoke of was traditionally done by dipping the rod with the guides already on, however you can come very close to this look by carefully building up the finish on the wraps afterwards. Good luck with your project!

Bill O.

Quote Originally Posted by oyster
    kayakfish,

You want to be absolutely sure that this rod is NOT impregnated before you varnish it. They began impregnating in 1942 and you can see an awful lot of Orvis cane rods before you ever bump into one that was not impregnated. There impregnated bamboo rods have a consistent chocolate brown color, and I'd tell you what their non-impregnated rods look like... but I've never seen one.
    Bill:

I've seen non-impregnated Orvis rods that were as blond as a Leonard as well as the familiar even brown color they are now. I also once saw a blond impregnated rod. Many people think that the even brown tone comes from the impregnating resin, it doesn't; it comes from the heat treating that they do. Orvis blank colors run the gamut. I have an early 1940's Orvis with "Impregnated - Patent Pending on the flat & butt cap and it is a deep dark chocolate brown with light nodes.

Hey kayak, make sure to post pictures!

I just sold a really nice midge made in 1992 and it had been in the store since 1995. Blond as a Leonard and surely inscripted with Impregnated. I am right there with Bill O. If it is impregnated, it will be pretty easy to tell and I would just buff the hound out of it with a good buffing compound and wax, wrap her up, finish the wraps and pass it on to the next 3 or 4 generations to fish and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by dleo6446
    I just sold a really nice midge made in 1992 and it had been in the store since 1995.
    Don't know how you parted with that. I have a 1970's version and I love that rod!

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle
    Quote Originally Posted by dleo6446
    I just sold a really nice midge made in 1992 and it had been in the store since 1995.
    Don't know how you parted with that. I have a 1970's version and I love that rod!

please don't think it was easy

Okay so if I get you guys right then, you are saying that if its a impregnated Bamboo it will buff up shiny like it has a finish without finshing it right?
    Because I can buff this and it will have a gloss to the Bamboo when I finish buffing, and there is no and I mean absolutly NO finish on it.
    I would post pics of the rod after I have stripped it and buffed but have no idea of how to. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread