+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danvise hint

Default Danvise hint

For folks that have a Danvise ....do you find it a llittle inconvenient to reach over and adjust the jaw holder knob?...speaking to right handers here...[but of course it can apply to lefties too...depending how the vise is set up...]

The vise comes with right and left jaw holders...if you right handers set it up with the left handed holder that knob will be then on the tyers side....

You do have to reverse the cam but I find that easier than reaching for that knob....

Thanks to Al for helping me with that
    If you have Al's video you will see him using it both ways.

Default Re: Danvise hint

I haven't tied on my Danvise for about 7 years now. That was one of three things I did not like about it. The other two were I did not like the rotary freature/adjustment and there was never enough room behind the jaws for me to grab the fly. But for $69 back when I bought it it was a great price for my first rotary vise. After tying on the Renzetti (Traveler & 3000), Nor Vise, and Dyna-King (Barracuda & Barracuda Junior) I settled for the DK Barracuda Junior. I have not looked back ever since! That was before Renzetti patented the bend in the shaft and made DK pay them rights to use it and Peak Vise changed the single shaft bend for the system they have now. Then Renzetti tried to patent the "True Rotary" so others would have to either change their marketing or pay them royalty! BTW I've also heard the Renzetti customer service is not that good. Whereas DK customer service is second to none! I also know Danvise customer service is excellent too as a chip came of my jaw and they sent me a brand new vise! Something to think about when looking at vises. Take-care.

I've been using a Danvise for 10 years now. I had the jaws chip on the first two I brought and they were replaced without question. They must have changed how make the jaws as I've used my current one for 8 years without a problem. Here's a trick I learned not long after I got my first Danvise. I was having a problem tying large flies because of the angle the jaws sat at. I was on a business trip to Stockton, CA and I stopped in a local fly shop. One of the owners was using a vise that was a Danvise but didn't look like the one I had. He showed me how to change the configuration so that it was easier for me to tie larger flies. Here's what it looks like.

If anyone's interested I'll try to write out the instructions on how to do it. Now I'll have to switch the tightening knob to the right side, and see how it works, but after 10 years I just may leave it on the left side.

Philly ...it would seem your method makes it so the extension that is available for sale isn't necessary...correct?

Please do let us know the instructions.
    Did you have to drill an extra hole? I've just messed with mine and I can do it very simply but the set screw threaded hole is in the wrong place and covered
    I think you could change that tightening screw by just reversing the cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    BTW I've also heard the Renzetti customer service is not that good. Whereas DK customer service is second to none!
    I don't want to get into a "which vise is better" argument but ALL of my experience with Renzetti customer service has been excellent.

Lily Renzetti once responded to a question I emailed their customer service department, late in the evening on CHRISTMAS EVE! I'd call that pretty good service.

Philly,

I would be very interested in how you do that.

I too will not get into a argument of this vise vs that vise. I will say that Renzetti has been very good to me on customer service and always seems willing to help me with either a question or simply getting some spare parts. It's seems to me that once I made up my mind to be a Renzetti owner, along came very good customer service with my purchase.

I'm just getting around to reading the requests. I'll try and get the instructions written up. I may have to put it back together and take it apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B
    I too will not get into a argument of this vise vs that vise. I will say that Renzetti has been very good to me on customer service and always seems willing to help me with either a question or simply getting some spare parts. It's seems to me that once I made up my mind to be a Renzetti owner, along came very good customer service with my purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    BTW I've also heard the Renzetti customer service is not that good. Whereas DK customer service is second to none!
    I don't want to get into a "which vise is better" argument but ALL of my experience with Renzetti customer service has been excellent.

Lily Renzetti once responded to a question I emailed their customer service department, late in the evening on CHRISTMAS EVE! I'd call that pretty good service.

Fellas,
    I've never had to deal with Renzetti so I do not know how good or bad their customer service is today. So, I apologize if I offended anyone here. They may have improved their customer service now. All I know was I gave kudos to Dyna-King Customer Service 4+ years back because I bought a used Voyager on e-bay for $80. It was missing the screw head that makes the C-clamp usable. I called DK up and told them about it and that I bought if used off e-bay. They sent it out to me that same day with the instructions on how to make sure it won't bhappen again. When I asked how much this piece would cost me they said if was free because it should never have come off!

That's when a few people were posting complaints about Renzetti. One post was from a friend that was upset because he lost the bottom screw on the old model Traveler's jaw. He said he called Renzetti up and had to demand to talk to someone higher up. When he talked to the powers to be they said they'd send him one once they received $20 for part/shipping/handling! He was furious needless to say. The others I could not confirm so I will not post them. I personally think they make a quality vise but I do question their past practices on name patents. Again, I'm sorry if I upset anyone here about my post. I especially want to apologize to Andy B and bamboozle.

[quote="

If anyone's interested I'll try to write out the instructions on how to do it. Now I'll have to switch the tightening knob to the right side, and see how it works, but after 10 years I just may leave it on the left side.[/quote]

A picture is worth a thousand words indeed. I have wondered for years what that unused threaded hole in the jaws was for. Now I know. I just need to get a couple of washers so the thumb screw does not prevent the jaws from opening and closing.

But for me to have the cam lever and the hook adjustment knob in the same position this left hander will have to tie right handed instead of left handed. ..... Wait ......I already do that most of the time.

I have not done much big fly tying but now that I live in Southern California I think I will be using this change a lot.

Thanks for the picture.
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

+ Reply to Thread