+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a 7wt large arbor reel do well on an 8 rod?

Default Will a 7wt large arbor reel do well on an 8 rod?

My wife and I have a TFO Pro 8 and a Redington TRF 8-9 that we got for bass, but we found that our 5 and 6 outfits could easily handle even an occasional 30" carp, so we haven't used the heavier rods much. Enter the oportunity for salt water, and we need a couple of reels. I know an 8wt reel would be best, but would a 7wt large arbor salt reel at a very nice price do a good job with the rods? It seems that nowadays there are a lot of "4-5-6" or "7-8-9" reels. I can't think of any reason the 7 large arbor wouldn't work well, especially since it weighs the same as an 8-10 standard arbor by the same maker.

Will appreciate any help,

Busbee

Default Re: Will a 7wt large arbor reel do well on an 8 rod?

A key issue is the ability for the reel to hold enough backing. You might need to use Gel-spun backing which is thinner than regular backing so that you can hold enough line for the fish you hope to hook.

Assuming the drag is a good enough drag you should do fine.

jed

Specifically, the choices are Teton Tioga 8 standard arbor at $100 and Teton (not Tioga) 7 large arbor plus extra spool for $160.

Teton Fly Reels web site:

http://www.tetonflyreels.com/

Contact info there, if they are anything like other Fly Reel companies I have dealt with, they will likely be happy to give you the backing capacities of the various reels you are looking at.

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

This is my first post to the salt water forum, and I haven't spent much time here (but I will), so as of yet I have a short supply of knowledge on salt water. But it appears that you salt guys are really into reels more than fresh water fishers (and quite understandably so), and it somehow seemed to me that amongst salt water fly anglers, it would just plain be wrong to get a 7wt reel for an 8wt rod. But if it is merely an issue of the amount of backing, then it is no problem. The 7 large arbor Teton holds a line and 150 yards of backing, which according to Kreh is enough. A Kreh quote on backing:

"Many people recommend over 200 yards. Forget it.... Think about it. If you have an albacore -- which run pretty well -- and he rips 150 yards of backing from your reel, if you add 30 more yards for line and leader -- that's one and two-thirds of a football field away! That will happen only in your dreams."

And the Teton is better than the Teton Tioga. Right? Plus that extra spool is nice. Or with a shooting head system, is an extra spool all that helpful?

Busbee

It's a matter of fitting the backing about on, along with the line you want to use. That's about it as far as reel size goes.

Now drag is another thing, but if you already know the reel you are using, then that decision is already made. So if the required backing and line fit, then use it.

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne

Well, they ain't bought yet, so the decision hasn't been made. There are other possibilities, I guess. Such as the Redington CD-series. Same price range, and since we need two reels, price takes on a greater meaning.

But your bringing up the drag is somthing new. Hadn't thought about that. How important is the drag difference?

Again, is the extra spool important if you have changeable shooting heads? Our largemouth fishing has been decidedly low-tech -- wading in a shallow river and using poppers on a floating line, and long long casts, with lots of 2 and 3-pounders and occasionally higher. We have had sink tips and an intermediate line for three years -- never used them. Lazy, I guess, but if it ain't broke....

But salt should be more demanding -- not necessarily more fun, but at the least it will add variety.

Busbee

Drag is important in a lot of salt water fishing. Take a cheap drag reel, and let a bonefish run, watch the drag fry. Drag need will depend on what you are fishing for. I am not familiar with Teton's drag system so I won't comment. I have mostly Orvis reels.

This is my take on spools/lines. Other may have other opinions. For my larger rods, 6 wt and above. I have multi-tip lines. Not shooting heads, but multi tip. An example is SA Quad Tip. For my fishing, this works well. Floating, intermediate, sink tip, etc. Quick to change, cast decent. Not as good as separate lines, but does not required multiple lines on multiple spools. Less to carry, less to buy. Yea when the line wears out, I'll have to buy another expensive multi tip line, but for me I like the solution. They make freshwater and salt water versions on the multi tip lines. I am planning on going salt water fishing some time, and will simply buy a couple salt water multip tip lines.

I use them for my Smallmouth bass fishing, and most my fresh water fishing.

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne

OK, we're sliding away from the original question. When I said that salt water fishers were, understandably, more into reels than freshwater guys, it was about drag. So I know drag is important. You brought up the drag difference, and I thought you were talking about the difference between a 7 and 8 drag. But now I guess you meant different reels have different drags.

My original question assumed that the Teton is one of the best, if not the best, salt water reel, with great drag, for around $250, with the Teton Tioga being cheaper by about $75 or so. That is, the Teton (standard) is better. and with that in mind, the question concerned whether the sacrifice of "mismatching" an 8 rod with a 7 Teton was worth it to get a Teton rather than a "well matched" but slightly less-desirable Teton Tioga 8 regular arbor.

So, yes, a salt water reel's quality is about drag, anodizing, drag, machining tolerances, drag, backing capacity, and drag. And of course cosmetics.

Question: My wife and I have two 8 rods and have a chance to buy a fantastic pair of Teton 7 large arbor reels, with extra spools, half price, $160 each, or a pair of Teton Tioga 8 standard arbor reels for $100 each. We of course prefer the Teton (standard).

I am sure that any differences would be subtle, but we fly anglers are into discerning subtle differences.

Any help from the Teton crowd?

Busbee

Quote Originally Posted by busbee
    Question: My wife and I have two 8 rods and have a chance to buy a fantastic pair of Teton 7 large arbor reels, with extra spools, half price, $160 each, or a pair of Teton Tioga 8 standard arbor reels for $100 each. We of course prefer the Teton (standard).
    Answer: It's about backing/line capacity

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne

+ Reply to Thread