+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What woud you do?

Wow....you're kidding right?

This is unbelievable.

Jeremy.

Methinks JC is baiting you guys. Me also thinks a few of you bit.

------------------
    When nothing is certain, everything is possible.

I'm with JC, It's only a fishing pole & Reel for God's sake, if you are so worried about a little scratch then maybe you should keep them in the tube and not lend it out. Then again you could just beat the tar out of him, but your reel will still have a scratch on it.

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited 28 July 2005).]
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Hey Mickey,

I ain't bitin on nothin. I said exactly what I would to the bro....JC notwithstanding. I don't care if JC said it with a wink or not. I'm with Billknepp on this one. Besides, the more I think about it, the more I think it's rj's fault. He must have known what his bro-in-law was like before he let him use it.

Later, RW

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Heck, it's only money. Go get a new one.

Fore-warned is fore-armed! Don't let JC borrow any of your equipment. *grin*

The FIRST time I saw the person mis-using my equipment I would have asked what he thought he was doing. And if he didn't apologize on the spot and stop being a idiot, he would not have been fishing with my stuff or me. He wasn't just mis-using the gear, he was disrespecting YOU.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

You guys are great! I did not expect such a response. I think the best idea is to buy him his own setup next Christmas. That will make gift buying simple for the next 30+ years!

and yes, I have a Winston Ibis as my spare rod. The only other rod I own is a Sage rpl+. Nobody touches that one but me.

Rick

rj--jr,
    There have been some great suggestions to your question. And, some rather scathing sarcasm. Try not to let JC sour your decision. I know where he's coming from, but lots of folks don't. If it was my choice of how to handle it, I would offer a lesser valued outfit to your brother inlaw on the next outing. That would be a good time to mention the value of good equipment, and the respect one should have for it's performance. In the hands of a good caster, a $1000 outfit is worth $1000. In the hands of a novice, the same rig is worth $29. That is for sure an exageration, but I think you get my point. If he then shows the proper respect for the equipment he is using, you could probably lend him more expensive stuff. If he doesn't show the proper respect for your equipment, I have a complete Pflueger 8 weight, Supreme outfit, I'll let you have for $100 + shipping. Actually, it's a good Salmon & Steelhead rig, but I've used it for Crappie, and it worked well. I hope your dilema works out well. It's alway great to have a family member to share your passion.
    By the Way, if you were catching fish all day long, and he had to throw your rod down that many times, where were you fishing? LOL

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    -----------------
    Lotech Joe

[This message has been edited by LotechJoe (edited 28 July 2005).]

I have to agree with Ladyfisher on this one! Certainly disrespectful no matter what. I would have been polite to him, but also with a stern voice so he got the message. I expect people who use my equipment to treat it much like I would.

------------------
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

+ Reply to Thread