+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need help building fly rod

Default need help building fly rod

Ok, I am currently building a 2 wt fly rod. It is a Cabelas kit with their instructions. They are pretty good except the instructions don't tell me the direction of the guides. I have 1 double foot cast guide and the rest are single foot ones. Here's the question. Which direction does the foot of the single foot guide foot face, the handle or the tip? Then which direction does the single foot of the double foot guide face? Thanks fish

Default Re: need help building fly rod

I've not built a rod in a while and I've never built one with a single foot guide. I'm pretty sure the single foot guide has the foot pointing towards the butt section. Good-luck!

single foot on guide faces the grip, not the tip

That's it the on single foot guides - the foot goes towards the butt/handle section. As for the stripping guide Likely the double foot you speak of it depends on who you ask as to what answer you'll get.

I suspect this is a stripping guide that has one foot on one side and then a foot with braces on the other side. I have placed these guides both ways and do not notice a difference in performance. I seem to recollect a thread on this board concerning the direction of these types of stripping guide and no real conclusion was made. I do recall when I was trying to figure this out myself I found manufacturers placing them differently also depending on the brand.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

For the single-foot guides, the foot should point towards the butt. For the stripping guide, it doesn't much matter but I'd face the single foot towards the tip.

The stripper guide (pictured here) goes on like this.

The handle is to the LEFT of the guide. On your single foot guides, the foot of the guide points toward the handle as well. For double-foot snake guides, the direction does not matter because they are symmetrical.

Good Luck with the rod. Post some pics when you get it done, and if you have more questions, post them on the rod building forum at the bottom of the forums page. there are lots of builders there who will give you good advice.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Thanks folks. I'll try and get going on it soon. Thanks again. Fish

+ Reply to Thread