+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spey casting

Default Spey casting

So I have just purchased a St Croix 14ft spey rod, Does anyone have any sugestions for spey casting instructions on the web, or on DVD? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Mike.

Default Re: Spey casting

HI Mike,

There really is no substitute for learning to spey cast from a qualified casting instructor. It shortens the learning curvre tremendously. If, for some reason, that isn't a real possibility, there are a couple of books out there that I've read through and found to have a good bit of information for the beginning caster. In no particular order they are, Two Handed Fly Casting by Al Buhr, A Passion for Steelhead by Dec Hogan, and Spey Casting by Simon Gawesworth. For DVD's, two that I have are "Modern Spey Casting and More..." with Dec Hogan and "The Art of Spey Casting" with Lani Waller.

Hope this helps a bit.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Normand Guest

I agree on taking some hands on lessons. I had the pleasure to cast with Dec Hogan and there is so much to spey casting right down to the RIGHT line for it. That is the biggest issue right there cause the way he explained it, it is not like regular fly fishing. The lines are by grains and if the rod is an 8/9 it might need a 9/10 line to load up right.
    For the record, NETFLIX has some great DVD's on Spey and all around fly fishing.

Thanks for the info, Lessons realy are not an option, here in N.Z. as far as I am aware there are no spey casting instructors so I will look out for the books and DVDs mentioned.
    Thanks very much for the help, I will let you know how I get on with learning to cast Spey Style.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Keep posting on this Mike. I am so jealous you are going for it. Next year after the dust settles I will give it a go so stay in touch.

Mike,

There are several of us, me included, that fish the two handed rods. If we can help in anyway, post it up on the bulletin board or PM me. Glad to help out.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Mike, welcome to another addiction! lol. I also agree with the take lessons, advice. I've been doing it for around 4 years and I tried learning it myself...big mistake! It takes twice as long to learn that way. If lessons aren't an option, then definitely get a good DVD or video on the subject. The books probably won't help much, as you really need to see it done. They make sense, after you know what you're doing. lol. The dvd's Ron mentioned are excellent ones, as is RIO's International Spey Casting.
    Also, like Fly Goddess said, matching line to rod can be extremely difficult. The tackle manufacturer's have gotten much better with their designations but it can still be a little hit and miss. RIO has a break down of what lines work best with what rods, on their site and that's very helpful. Also, make sure you have a reel that will balance the rod you're using. That makes a big difference.
    Last but not least, stick with it until you gain some level of proficiency at it. So many people try it a couple times, think they can't do it, and hang it up. I was almost one of them. Now, I love it. What St. Croix did you get?

Fly Goddess, what dust? Do it now, young lady! lol.

Thanks very much guys, I am thinking of getting a Rio or S.A spey line to go with the rod, the rod is a St Croix 14ft 3 piece that I have purchased online, second hand but only lawn cast, I can hardly wait for it to arive. I may well buy the Rio line and the Rio DVD from Cabelas once I have the rod in hand.
    I will also keep an eye out on the Tongariro for anyone else useing a spey rod and hit them up for some advice!
    All the best.
    Mike.

Mike,

Sent you a PM

+ Reply to Thread