+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelhead Patterns for Lakes Erie & Ontario Tribs

Deezel Guest

Default Steelhead Patterns for Lakes Erie & Ontario Tribs

I understand that a similar thread was deleted due to some posts. If this thread can be kept straight perhaps many of us will benefit from those who are more experienced in steelhead patterns. Last Saturday a few of us went to Cattaragus Creek for the first time and I'm looking forward to a trip or two to the tribs of Lake Ontario soon. What patterns would you suggest or have been successful for you in these waters?

Thanks in advance for information and for keeping this thread on track.

Deezel

Default Re: Steelhead Patterns for Lakes Erie & Ontario Tribs

Ya, swell,,, ya went fishin' but we are left to wonder how it went! Hope these guys list some flies for you. My one and only fly for them was a Skunk. Black over white. All I ever used.

I use the following patterns on the Lake Erie tribs and they have been very effective for me...

1) wolley bugger, white, black, green, purple; size 6 & 8
    2) egg sucking leech, I tie a bunch of different patterns
    3) sucker spawn
    4) double egg/milt pattern
    5) clouser minnow, emerald shiner pattern
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

Deezel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    Ya, swell,,, ya went fishin' but we are left to wonder how it went! Hope these guys list some flies for you. My one and only fly for them was a Skunk. Black over white. All I ever used.
    Sorry, forgot to mention that I was a 'steelie virgin' prior to going and left the water having that same status . It cost each of the three of us $35 for the 'reservation pass' that's good until the end of the year. That's one reason we may go back. This week we/I will probably try one of the Lake Ontario tribs. Maybe my status will change

Thanks for that pattern and maybe, as you said, "these guys list some flies for you". If my status changes, I will certainly let you know.

Deezel

Deezel, good on ye mate, let's get back to adult interests.

Whoops!! I just realise that this should be on the 'Fly Tying' Board.
    I'll open up a string there for it.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

At this point, especially for Lake Ontario where the salmon populations are large, both streamer and egg patterns will do well. Once the bulk of the steelhead enter the tributaries, there is usually significant salmon spawning occurring, and it doesn't take long at all for the steelhead to focus their feeding efforts on eggs. Of course, they're still accustomed to eating small baitfish and will aggressively and readily take streamers, too. Once water temps drop, their feeding behavior shifts dramatically - their tendency to move for a fly (be it swung or drifted) diminishes. Long story short, right now they'll eat just about anything. As winter's grip strengthens, swung flies will still take fish, but nymphs and eggs will predominate as food sources (black stonefly nymphs and caddis larvae/pupae work particularly well for Erie fish).

Right now things are a little tricky re: finding fishable water. The biggest tributaries are exactly where efforts should be focused until the rains come! Of course, this means dealing with other anglers, who inevitably concentrate on the bigger waters during drought periods like this one. More so on Ontario tribs, there is a significant salmon-targeting contingent, so you may very will find your spots away from the crowd. Bonus, if you can locate spawning salmon - fishing behind them with egg patterns will often afford you some success with both hungry steelhead and lake-run browns that will also be gearing up to spawn soon.

The patterns mentioned in previous posts will do the trick.

Marty

The first thing you have to do, is a rain dance because everything up here is in rough shape. I was on the Catt yesterday and each week it looks worse and worse.
    You can keep the pattern selection pretty simple by getting sucker spawn, wolly buggers and egg sucking leeches, in a variety of sizes and colors. That basic set-up will cover you pretty well. The guys mentioned a number of other patterns, that also work well, so if you want to expand your selection, there's some good options.

Chris, I was gonna try the Clouser's this weekend and of course, I left them in the truck. lol.

Marty, is something wrong? I looked at the weather forecast for the week and it's gone from rain all week, to a couple days of rain. lol.

I'll be heading up to fish the Tribs early this week. Here are a couple of flies that I and my fishing buds have had very good success with over the years. I would suggest going bigger and brighter in stained water and smaller with natural colors in clear water. The clearer the sky the smaller the fly has also worked for me.

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc-32 ... ammer.aspx

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc-32 ... ugger.aspx

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc-32 ... omber.aspx

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc-32 ... rince.aspx

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc-32 ... -head.aspx

And always have size 6, 8, & 10 Wooly Buggers in black, brown, olive and white. This year I've tied some of Rummels and regular Buggers in a silver grey just to see. It never hurts to have some Crystal Meth and some single egg patterns. Hope this helps.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

The rains have come.

Try some of these -

This is my Erie Tribs selection.
    Joe Bertolini

+ Reply to Thread