+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waders

Default Waders

I just moved to Montana from Massachusetts and am finding that wet wading in October is rather chilly. Since I usually dont wade past my crotch anyway, I was thinking about saving some money and just buying hippers but I wanted to get the opinions of some of the more experience fishermen here. I know that I will go over the top of these waders (probably more often than I want) but at about half the price, it seems like a sweet deal.

Thanks for any and all advice,

Geoff

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waders

is one days not fishing worth the money you would save? when you count gas, time etc the amount in difference is cheep insurance for a pleasant day fishing in the spring fall or winter. I would save my money and buy when they go on sale, somthhing will come up in your price range.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Normand Guest

I would get some breathable waders that could be used for spring summer fall and most of the winter except for the coldest days. dan baileys are a good brand to look at as well as cabelas, orvis, patagonia etc. make sur to wear some sort of thermal protection layer during early spring and late fall.

you might also take a look at waist high breathable waders vs the hip boots.

I had completely forgotten about Dan Baileys... I live about 45 minutes away from his shop... I am so ashamed... But I will check out the waist highs.

Hippers are okay, I guess. Just seems like an accident waiting to happen. Quick step into an unseen hols and your wet. Worn during the chillier parts of the year a dunking, besides ruining a pleasany days fishing, could also let you in for hypothermia at worst or a cold at best. Like was mentioned by others, I'd wait and buy some chest waders. I'd just add a wading staff to the list of things to have.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

There's an old adage:
    "Hip boots are a great way to measure how deep the water was when you got wet."

I like having both.
    My canvas bootfoot hip boots were factory seconds and were only $20
    I love 'em. Easy on and off you go.
    You can't wear them all the time though. Look for a good deal in some breathables, it will be worth it.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

One of my best friends wears waist highs all the time. He says they keep him from being tempted to wade in farther than he ought to or really wants to. I've never seen him go in over them. I on the other hand do so more often than I want my wife or son to know in my chest waders...

Just another thought.

ED

Ditto to REE's comments....be sure the chest waders come with a safety belt.
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

My problem is if I used hip waders, I could only wade in VERY shallow water.....might as well just have tall rubber boots.
    Carl

Every day above ground is a good day

Breathable Chest Waders

+ Reply to Thread