+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Bound

Default Texas Bound

Hello all.

I am so brand new to Saltwater and find myself in position to fish for Reds near Galveston. My questions are, 1: Does anyone fish that area frequently, who is willing to offer tips, and 2: What flies would one recommend.

I will be going Nov. 2nd and will probably be looking at fishing on the 3rd. I wonder if there will be any action to be had on Reds or maybe even Specs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

Default Re: Texas Bound

OK ROR-EYE, here?s your homework:

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers/pr ... /intro.htm

It?s a free ebook on Fly Fishing the Texas Coast. Covers tackle, techniques, and has several sections on do it yourself wading spots as well, for all around G Bay and the rest of the Texas coast. There?s also a wildlife refuge down there, Anahuac (sp?) where there is supposed to be good wade fishing, but I don?t know the specifics? might be worth asking about down there though if no one else on the board chimes in.

As far as flies go, I think you'll mostly want flies on the small side, say 2's and 4's for easier casting and better hook ups on reds. I?d have some of the basics like a few "big" size 1 (rather than 1/0) blue over white deceivers to imitate baitfish, some smaller size 2 and 4 Clousers in chart/white, all white and brown/tan, and some size 2, 4 bendbacks for weeds. Some poppers or crease flies for surface action for kicks would be fun to fish too for specs. Reds will eat them too if you lead them say 6-10' away and pop it to get their attention... but if you land one on their head they'll be apt to spook.

Basically you want to have stuff that floats or rides high in the water column for specs (and jacks, spanish macks etc if you have them there) and stuff that sinks for reds. For reds, you want to land one close to one you see tailing, rooting around, or pushing water as one (or a school) is swimming and s/he/school will either blow up and spook or eat, whatever fly/color it is. Usually they're not too selective as far as fly goes. That being said, some clousers with bead chain eyes for shallow and some with lead eyes for deeper water would be a good idea if you tie your own. Keep them sparse and don't over do the flash. Chartreuse might have an advantage for muddy water, white or brown/tan in clear water, not so much for the reds, but for other stuff you might run into.

A stop in a local fly shop would be worth a stop to pick up some local flies like crab and/or shrimp patterns (with weed guards) and those wobbly spoon things they throw down there with fly rods.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

peregrines

ROR

More spots down there for wading to try with aerial views: http://www.texasflyfishers.org/SW-close.htm

Good luck!

peregrines

4. Default Re: Texas Bound

I've never found redfish to be very picky about flies as long as they are presented well. A tan Gartside Gurgler is an excellent choice. It's less likely to spook the fish and you don't have to be as accurate, since they will chase it from a few feet away. A tan cactus shrimp (aka cactus charlie) is another good choice. The shrimp down there are tan and white instead of pink.

5. Default Re: Texas Bound

One more thing, in case you don't know, you have to use the strip set instead of raising the rod. A lot of us freshwater fisherman raise the rod as a reflex action. You have to practice it before you get there, or you will loose a lot of fish.

I couldn't ask for a better response!

Thank you all for your advice and input.

Peregrines,

Thanks for the homework. I never new you could find that much information on anything, that someone would be willing to give freely!

Bazakwards,

As a general rule, I have applied the strip set technique to nearly all of my warmwater fishing. I like it because if you miss a fish, your fly does buzz your ear, and the fish usually don't spook, especially if you fishing to schooling fish. I've missed a carp in a school, and watched another eat after the first one ate and seemingly, (to the fish), rejected the fly!

Yes there is quite a bit of fly fishing to be had in that area. A couple of good spots to keep up with what hot and where it's happening is (no a commerical plug) check out http://www.coastalkayakfishing.com/ and http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/ . Other good sources of information are Crawford's books on Wade and Kayak Fishing the Upper Texas Coast and the Coastal Bend of Texas or pick up a copy of Texas Saltwater Fishing Magazine. The latter is a monthly publication that has some excellent information. Another good source of information is to check with Capt. Chris Phillips or Andy Packmore at Fishing Tackle Unlimited on the Gulf Freeway in Houston.

There are several spots along Galveston Island that are easily accessable by boat or kayak and, if you don't happen to have one, there are several kayak rental spots in the area. I hope you have a good time fishing the area. Let us know when you get down here and we'll try to help you out.

Tight loops, Animal Chris

9. Default Re: Texas Bound

Sorry, I didn't mean to be presumptuous about the strip set. It's interesting that you use it for general warm water fishing. I have trouble hooking perch that way for some reason.

When I said it has become a rule, I meant more for big game, carp mostly, bass and wipers when I get lucky enough to have a wiper bite! I don't tink the little guys have what it takes to strip set all the time. Bigger fish really clamp down on a fly, or turn after the initial strike, where bluegills will usually rush up, inhale the fly, and most of the time, sit for a second, 'tasting' the fly and checking texture, facing the direction the fly was traveling. When you strip set in that scenario, you most likely just pull the fly right out of their mouths. An upward hookset will usually get them in the upper lip. IMO

+ Reply to Thread