+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Line recomendations needed

Default Line recomendations needed

I am looking for a new fly line. Currently I have Cortland WF Rocket taper line on my 7wt Avid.

It works extremely well for shallow fishing but I wuld like to get my streamers a bit deeper sometimes. I'm looking for something capable of "holding" flies from 5 to 9 feet down. I was thinking about Rio stremer line but I figuire I ask some folks befure I take a plunge.

Any recommendations would be welcome. Thanks.

BTW. This is rig used mostly for warm water/still water fishing however if it's too windy I'm not squimish about using it for trout.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Default Re: Line recomendations needed

I've been using the 24ft tip for whites and wipers on my 7-weight and it's been working pretty well. Shoots like a bullet and is much easier to manage than a full sinking line. I've got the shorter tip version on my 4-weight for redears and crappies. Works great but the fly doesn't stay as deep when you strip it.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Mikie,

Get the fastest full sinking line that your rod can throw. ESPECIALLY if you will be using it for warmwater or trout in lakes.

You'll never regret having a line that sinks 'too fast' as you can control how deep it goes by when you begin your retrieve. If you need to get 'down' having a too slow sinking line is a real pain in the tail....

The slower sinking lines and the sink tips are primarily for specific situations (you really need to have a good assortment of them, but you need the fastest full sink FIRST).

Rio, SA, Orvis, Cortland, etc., ALL make a good full sink line in the type VI (slowest you should consider) for a 7 weight. You can find density compensated lines (heavier at the front end to keep the line 'straighter' between you and you fly), plain old full sinks (work VERY well for lots of things), and shooting type lines (Rio Outbound is a good example of these, but lots of companies make similar lines) if you need to cast a long distance and still get down deep. The Rio Deep Seven is another great option if you want a 'specific' line recomendation (I do like Rio lines, personally, but any will do the job).

Fishing a full sink line is no harder than fishing with ANY line, once you become acustomed to them. A sinking line is 'different' than a floating line, so you have to adjust.

A fast full sink line should be any lake fisherman's second line purchase, regardless of species.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Another point about fishing a full sink in stillwater...the difficulty of lifting it out of the water is seldom an issue since you are stripping it in almost all the way anyway...

BG222,

I thought I was a little in the over-kill zone for throwing a 27ft 300 grain tip on my 8wt, but now I don't feel so bad. I too was having trouble getting down and staying down, even with a fifteen ft tip. I changed this summer to a 27ft Streamer Express with an intermediate running line: Problem solved. The intermediate running line really helps in the wind with maximum wave chop, as the line is under the surface, never losing contact with the fly. There is always tension between me and the fly. I also have an Airflow Striper/Coldwater full intermediate line for fishing down to about ten feet, but as Buddy said, you have to wait for it to get down. However, in the spring, I think I would prefer it to the sink tip, because the fish tend to change depth throughout day. With the intermediate, I can fish a popper,(faster than most people like to), a big baitfish streamer right under the surface, or streamers, sliders, leeches, or whatever, down deep if I let it sink a while.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

6. Default Re: Line recomendations needed

Full sink tip line should do the trick.

The last couple weeks I've been fishing a Scientific Anglers Uniform Sink+ type I slow sink line on my six weight. Besides the part about having to strip so much in before I can make the next cast (actually not a totally bad thing as the fish this time of year can be fairly close to the rocks anyway) it's working just fine. I still like my 24 ft. tip, but this would be a good solution, too.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

My, nine cents worth, Mikie........ (worth, about 3 cents)
    I've been using the "AirFlo Multi Tip" lines, now, for a couple of years and really like them for both, nymphing streams and anything I do when lake fishing.
    True, they're right up there at a hundred smackeroonies but if you look at the versatility and what you really get, buying one, for a $100.00 it's like buying 4 fly lines for the same price or, $25.00 each?!
    They come with the four tips, each 12' long and range in weight from a 'full floater" to "torpedo depth", (8" a second).

If you're tubing, or, pontooning etc, in the still waters you fish, they're really nice for changing conditions, because you're only changing out one, 12' tip section, (everything is loop to loop set up already), instead of the hassles of breaking down your whole set up to change spools or change to a complete reel for something else.
    (I once dropped the irreplaceable spool to my Sage #304, while trying to change spools once in my Belly Boat, NEVER again!)

Quite a few line manufacturers make these Multi Tip lines, now, so AirFlo's no the only game in town on these, but it was the first brand I tried and almost all my fly lines are Airflos anyway.

Just a 3 cent suggestion!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Justice League Guest

I would go with the rio that is the slickest stuff I have ever seen. It has held up well also and has very little line memory. You might want to try the Lee Wulff line I have used them in the past and really like them. Whatever you do fish hard and often.

Jason

+ Reply to Thread