+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the board

Default New to the board

Hi all...

First post here...been looking for a fly fishing board and found this one...looked good so I decided to join. I fish for trout mostly in the Adirondacks in NY...sometimes in the Catskills, but my favorite river is the Ausable, particularly the West Branch between Lake Placid and Wilmington. I've been out of the fly-fishing loop for 20 yrs or so, but recently re-discovered the beauty of it. I use a 8-1/2 ft, 5 wt Orvis rod matched up with an Orvis Battenkill reel. Hope you don't mind if I ask what many might consider stupid questions. I especially want (and have) to gain more knowledge in the art of nymph fishing...both with and without strike indicators. I noticed a thread in another section dealing with photos of places you've fished. I'll post some of my trip to the Ausable in early September...then you'll see why I like it so much.
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Default Re: New to the board

WElcome to the board, have not been in your neck of the woods in a few years now .. visited Fran Betters up there . Almost bousht land by wilmington on the saranac but ended up over in Vermont look forward to your pictures ..
    Tom

Thanks for the welcome...Fran is a gem, he truly is a source of endless information about fishing that river. Since you were up there, he's re-located his shop a few miles north on the same road. He also built a new restaurant next to his shop. I always try to spend an hour or so with him every time up there. His health is not too good these days, but even so, he still ties over 100 flies a day...have you ever seen his Ausable Wulff?? He designed those just for that river...and they work real good, too. I might make another trip up there the end of this month, before the snows come. I'll see if I can squeeze the time in.
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Welcome to the board. You will find many helpful and generous people here. We look forward to your pictures and stories.
    Tim

welcome aboard. The number one rule here for questions is that the only stupid ones are the ones you didn't ask. That's what we're here for.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Welcome aboard. There is alot of info in the archives. You might want to look through those.

Rick

Welcome to the best Fly Fishing board ever! This is where it's at! Enjoy the jewels that you fish. Wish I could get up there and wet a line!

Have fun with all this info. I am lucky I get anything done besides FAOL!

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard! Please give my regards to Fran Betters and thank him for what he has done for fly fishing and fly tying for me.

Don't let DShock scare you off. Of course, he'll probably say the same about me.

Ed

Thanks Ed, Your a 'Peach' of a guy!
    Anyway, Welcome ausable_ny to the BB!! You seem (so far) to be a nice guy and Lord knows we need more people like you.
    You can PM me and I will give you the scoop on Ed! (Jack & Warren Also!)
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Welcome to the board. I have only been fly fishing for a few short months and learn a lot from the people here. I have also had the privilege to fish with a few of them. This place is the place to go to learn about fly fishing.
    Remember we all live down stream

+ Reply to Thread