+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add to lanyard discussion, just different

Default Add to lanyard discussion, just different

empty
    loaded

Here's another thought about lanyards ... smaller, lighter, no choke features. Carabiner clips to your belt loop. Still holds everything you may need.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Re: Add to lanyard discussion, just different

I Like it!!!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Normand Guest

might tangle up with stripped of line from the reel???

Wow! I really like the looks of that. With my declining wading abilities, I'm considering using two wading staffs just to get to where I can fish by leaning or sitting on a good rock. (I call them Sit'non Rocks) If I use one of those smaller lanyards I will still be able to use a SOSpender PFD and two staffs. May just open up some possibilities for me.
    Thanks Betty,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I'm having a little trouble visualizing how handy this would be with my tools lower than my belt???? When it's hanging on my chest I pretty much can use it all right there...even the pliers I use to disengage hooks....that is my lower most tool.

If you strip in to the left (left handed), you clip the short lanyard to the right on your jeans ... reverse if you strip right handed. If it's on your right hip, and you're right handed, it's right at hand level for ease of hemostat use, without bending way over. Conversely, if it's on your left hip, and you're left handed ...well, you get the picture!
    Plus, it's not very long ... maybe 3" and add a short carabiner ... doesn't take up much room for the minimalist fisher.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Normand Guest

but if its hanging on a wader belt and your up to your wader belt in water, seems like everything getting wet???

I still like my vest. I can't figure a way to carry my partial roll of biodegradable TP (yes we should carry this), water bottle, granola bar & PB&J sammich on a lanyard. Maybe I just need to hire a butler to go along with me if I minimize down to a lanyard. I think lanyards are a great idea for very short fishing excursions where you stay close to civilization and/or your vehicle. Can't see using one for a 1/2 day or longer outing where you'd wander a good ways from the vehicle. Not to mention either buying duplicates of everything on the lanyard, or switching stuff back & forth. Too much work for this guy. When I go fishing I don't want to have to go down a checklist to make sure I have everything. My vest hangs in the back of the truck and it's all there in one place. If I sweat while wearing it, Oh Well....

Sorry if I took away anyone's thunder. They're cutesy but not always practical.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe,
    That's where the "wading staff" comes in handy!
    The simple lanyard works for me, maybe because I don't wade real deep. Usually mid thigh is deep enough for me as my balance isn't very good deeper (da*n stroke!!). I'm still not going to give up and sit at home, I'd rather keep it simple and have fun. Obviously what works well for one, isn't going to work the same for the multitudes. I'm happy....and there's plenty of thunder to go around.
    Betty

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner
    Joe,
    That's where the "wading staff" comes in handy!
    The simple lanyard works for me, maybe because I don't wade real deep. Usually mid thigh is deep enough for me as my balance isn't very good deeper (da*n stroke!!). I'm still not going to give up and sit at home, I'd rather keep it simple and have fun. Obviously what works well for one, isn't going to work the same for the multitudes. I'm happy....and there's plenty of thunder to go around.
    Betty
    My wading is getting worse and worse. If I'm anything more than ankle deep, it really touch and go for me. I suppose the fact that I wear trifocals doesn't help either. I'm seriously planning on two wading staffs and just lash my rod to my vest. When I get to were I want to fish, I always jab my staff into to riverbed and wedge it into my abdomen. That way I fish with a kind of tripod affair. Two legs and a wading staff. There's no running after big fish. If they don't come to me, they get away.
    Aside from that, I'm planning lots of boat fishing out of my 12' jon boat. Flat bottomed boats are easier to get into on the beach. Thanks for your hint about the smaller lanyard and thanks a ton for the B-Day wishes. I kind of knew if I heard from anyone, it would be you.
    Blessings on You,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread