+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Okuma v Ross? (at the low end)

Default Re: Okuma v Ross? (at the low end)

In the "Under $40" category - I bought a Hobbs Creek reel a couple days ago for $39.99. I do follow the "line-holder" theory, so I chose to go cheap on the reel and buy a better line. If you have to choose between the two, go with the line.

btw-The Hobbs Creek has been holding the line quite nicely.

I haven't used a Ross so I can't compare. I have owned several Okuma reels and currently use the Magnitude. THe Sierra is a fine reel for its price. I can't comment on their customer service because in the years I've owned Okuma I've never needed to call them.

The reel generally is not that important when fresh water fishing so I wouldn't fret too much. Either one has a decent reputation.

jed

Normand Guest

ive been using the okuma airframe (composite vs aluminum) reel for about 2 1/2 years and havent had a single problem with it.

The Okuma Sierra and the Cabela's Prestige are one and the same
    I got my Prestige reel when they still went for 50 bucks
    Not the best investment I ever made.
    If you want an inexpensive reel, do yourself a favor and get a Pflueger Medalist
    It's a classic design, will last a lifetime, and costs less than $30 ($20 if you look around)
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I own several Okuma Sierras and an SLV 2/3 for my 2wt. I've never had any problems so why worry about customer service? The reels just keep working great.

I really enjoyed the trip to Alaska when the guide was chiding the guys with the expensive $500 -$600 reels that were freezing up as my son was catching fish on his $50 reel!

It doesn't hurt to buy quality, but note - name does not always equal quality.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

You can go to troutlet.com and put your cursor over "fly fishing" and a drop down menu will let you click on Fly Reels.

Nice page. You will see a ton of Okuma reels, the Pflueger for $20 etc.

I have one Okuma and do not like it. The cover over the center on the drag side fell off, then a part, then another part. I do not know what is missing because they are gone. Yes this happened during first three times using it. Now I cannot even adjust the drag. I just do not like it.

Now.............pls take a serious look at the Tica Fishmaster for $54. Read the specs, then above it you can click on tackle reviews where three people posted their comments about the reel.

I have two of them. My life a bit chaotic so haven't fished them, or even seen them in awhile. But I think they are a heck of a reel for the money.

Good Luck and have a good ride.

Gemrod

7. Default Re: Okuma v Ross? (at the low end)

I have an Okuma disk drag on my 8 weight rod I use for Steelhead and Salmon and have never had a problem with it. I have only had it three years though so I can't give any better insight than that. It was inexpensive when I could not afford better and has never let me down so I have never had a reason to replace it. It probably has over 100 King Salmon on it (and quite a few Coho, Steelhead and lake run Browns as well) so I think it has stood up to fishing quite well. It still operates and looks like new even though I am hard on my equipment. Will all Okuma reels perform as well? I don't know. I really don't pay much attention to the reel so don't know the model name but I really have liked mine. I would not hesitate to purchase another if I had to get a second reel in that weight size. I also would not hesitate to get a lighter weight Okuma if I needed one either based on this reels history. Your mileage may vary...
    Daren

I own both reels and bought them on sale at Gander Mountain at the end of the year model changes. Both HOLD LINE and have good drags on them. For sub-$40 you can't go wrong with either. My "upscale pricey" reels are STH MR POP 1, 2 & 3 for $69 each, and that includes an extra cassette for each reel and a cloth bag also. Burned up a drag on a salmon while using the #2 (wrong reel) and they would not take any money for the parts, even after I explained it was MY FAULT! Cortland owns STH, but my reels were all made in the old country (I think it was NZ or one of those down-under islands).

That's my story and I'm stickin by it!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Deezel Guest

Joe,

Just to clarify what you wrote: I am pretty sure the original STH was made in Argentina. Cortland then bought the company or at least took over the repair department.

Deezel

I had a Okuma Sierra (forget which size but I used it with a 6wt)for a little while. It wasnt a bad reel, but I wanted something with a bit better drag so I upgraded to a Ross Cimmaron which I liked a lot more. I liked the Sierra, but I sold it along with a rod to someone. I dont miss it, but would recommend it if someone is just starting out and isnt going to have to worry about the drag much. I also noticed it is identical to a Cabelas reel that my brother got as a startup combo (Stowaway 5 wt) from me 6 months ago.
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

+ Reply to Thread