+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is more durable...

Blog Entries

Default Which is more durable...

the dubbing loop or dubbing with wax? and by durable i mean how well it will hold up, and how long the dubbing will stay attached.
    thanks for any help

Default Re: Which is more durable...

First I would say it depends on how good you ...individually... are as a tyer...

But simply put ..and in principle...the loop....hey, you've got two strands of thread to start with.....

Blog Entries

The loop.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

I choose the method to match the material. Like ducksterman said, it somewhat depends on how good you are as a tyer. I think in conjunction with good skills, it helps to have an understanding of when each method is appropriate and the effect you want.

For coarse fibered dubbing (seal, goat, some synthetics, etc), I use the loop; it secures the material while preserving the bugginess I am usually trying to achieve.

For finer dubbings, I use the conventional method. I find a nymph conventionally dubbed with a very short fibered material can sometimes thin somewhat during hard use...that is, of course, if I don't lose it first. Longer fibered dubbed bodies seem to take a beating better. Regardless, a thinning body is a good indicator that I'm losing less flies and probably having a good time...maybe even hooking up.

For finer/softer dubbings, I don't see the point in the loop. And if I were able to obtain the desired "buggy" effect with coarse fibers dubbed conventionally, I wouldn't expect the body to hold up as well as it would in the loop. The two tightly twisted strands of thread effectively trap coarse fibers that I find virtually impossible to dub otherwise.

I agree with what the others said with one addition; a dubbing brush is the most durable of all. The limitation to using a dubbing is that since they usually use wire to twist the dubbing material, they add too much weight to be used for dry flies.

Jim Smith

Jim..you opened the door...

What do you think...or anyone...if one uses a very very fine wire for a dubbing brush..will it really change the floatability of a dry fly????

Seems to me the issue is....is a very very fine wire more dense than a thread [or a double thread for a loop]??

Deezel Guest

First, I don't recall reading or seeing any article or fly tyer who uses a 'dubbing loop' as a method for applying dubbing on dry flies. So the question of weight is moot.
    Second, even if one were to use a dubbing loop for dubbing dry flies, a)there are wires that are finer than thread(I have some) and b)the weight difference is nothing.
    Third, my general answer to the original question would be, 'The loop would hold up better'. By that I mean that it will take more abuse from catching fish and the wear and tear on it from teeth. Otherwise, flies will rust out before they come apart.

Deezel

Deezel...the voice of reason

I am not addressing the strength difference on Dry Fly dubbing techniques, just nymphs or soft hackle flies. Having perfect, bullet proof dubbing on a soft hackle fly isn't sensible, because the more ragged the dubbing gets, the more fish I catch! Also the dubbed body is NOT the first part of the fly to fall apart, the hackle is.
    We (I) are very visual, that fly needs to be tied perfectly! Fish don't think like we do. Give yourself a break also! If your tying your own flies, then relax and enjoy the experience, don't worry about your fly falling apart.
    One time I was fishing with a H.E. soft hackle and it looked pathetic, but I still caught fish with it.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

well i just had a moment of genius and discovered the most durable method of all. do the dubbing loop AND the wax on the thread. it makes it easier to dub and none of the fur fibers fly away while tryiing to apply it like it does for me with just the regular dubbing loop.

+ Reply to Thread