+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This guy was an eating machine

Default This guy was an eating machine

Got out to a buddies pond on Sat and caught this LMB that had a bluegill tail sticking out of his gullet and still went after my clousser minnow!!
    [img][/img]

Default Re: This guy was an eating machine

That's amazing!
    I cought a bunch of smallmouths this year that were puking up minnows just as I was about to land them.
    I think the thought process goes something like: "There's an easy meal! I'm not hungry right now, but I don't want anyone else to get it. What the heck? Just one more bite...".

Great picture! I've caught white bass that were so full of shad you could feel the outlines of them againgst it's belly and I've had largemouths take swipes at hooked bluegill (ocassionally hooking the bass as well). You'd think their mamma's would teach them better manners than that, but there you go. They're gluttons, but we'd rather that than the other way around, eh?
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Cool picture!

I once stumbled across a brown trout in Thistle Creek (a small river in UT) that had half of another brown sticking out of its mouth. The one inside the other one was almost the same size as the one doing the eating. I couldn't believe it! It was just sitting there in the shallows not able to swim cause its meal was as big as itself.

This picture goes to show how big of a fly a bass will eat too. Thats one thing I always forget about them. Guess there is a reason why they're called "bucket mouths." If you were casting a fly as big as that fish looks like it could be you'd be throwing what, like a 4/0? I couldn't imagine....
    Leave No Trace

Nice photo, but it always bothers me to see a bass with it's mouth hyper extended the way the pros hold them. It seems like it would hurt their jaws, but then again, I'm assigning our limitations to a fish and that may not be appropriate.

When I was a kid, I caught a 16 inch bass on a large jointed-pikey lure that was about 8 inches long. When I landed the fish, he had a duckling in his gullet and two more in his belly. He couldn't even fit the last meal down his throat and he was still taking anything that moved. You gotta love a fish with attitude.

Jim Smith

My first and only Bass Fishing trip to San Diego (Forgot what Lake) I witnessed a fisherman bring in TWO Bass stuck together, that he retrieved off the surface. The biggest Bass had tried to swallow a Bass that was a only a little smaller. The Guide told me ahead of time that the Largemouth Bass had a great time chowing down on the hatchery trout that were dumped regularly, so I was surprised to see this Bass behavior.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

What's the last thing a bluegill sees? I bet it's something very much like that photo.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread