+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teaching IV

Default Teaching IV

Hi there.

Thanks again to all the members that have posted on my past "teaching" series.

I have been all over the web looking for low priced beginner kits ( rod, reel, line) but the market is huge. Not to mention that ebay (lowest prices!) descriptions are to say the less, poor.

Also as have been advised here many times it is better to learn with the best rod and line possible, however fine rods are too expensive to buy them in bulk (5-12). I think reels are out of the question for teaching and the cheap ones will do just fine.

What would be your recommendation in terms of brands and models when price/quality are the main concern, (mainly price). This is for rods and lines.

Will the low end rods be that bad when used by plain beginners? (I wouldn't ask about lines, I think the answer is obvious)

Thx

Dave

Beginners don't need much of a reel, and most low cost lines are actually rather stiff, so they don't collapse as easily as more expensive ones. I would go to a supplier and ask for a discount based on your ability to bring more novices in to the shop. For rods, while I agree with the Sci. Angl. one and have recommended the same here (Toronto), I also suggest a Mitchell if you have them in your area. They are quite fair for the $ (in the 9' model)and the 8.5ft model is SWEET. For $57Cdn I almost bought one just for fun.

Go to the Bass Pro website: [url=http://www.basspro.com:b9d04]www.basspro.com[/url:b9d04] and look at the Pflueger starter set.

"A great way to get started in fly fishing at a price that fits any budget. Kit includes 8' 3-piece 5/6-wt. rod, metal single-action reel, fly line, backing, tapered leader, knot booklet, and fly assortment with box."

Priced at only $39.99 USD

I got about the same thing from S.A. but with an 8'6" rod . I used the S.A. set when I started fly fishing last summer and was fed up with the rod pretty quickly into this year's season. It was a fast action rod and I had trouble with vibration in the rod on the stops.
    I think for kids the 8' rod would be better for their size. However, I'm 6'3" tall and my favorite rod is only 7'6" and slow action. Go figure...

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

I like the SA option.

What do you guys think about buying used?

Dave

+ Reply to Thread