+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I lost it!!?? Have You??

Default I lost it!!?? Have You??

Recently I was tying some EHC for a swap. After 4 or 5 I lost the ability to tie in the wing!!?? These were size 16's, which I've tied before, with a deer hair wing. After trashing 3 I quit! Is it a form of writers block? I'm afraid to go back to the vise! I know that "if the horse throws you get back on" but I wonder!!?? I consider the Elk Hair or Deer Hair Caddis to be my best ties and suddenly I couldn't do it!
    Has this ever happened to you and what did you do about it?

Default Re: I lost it!!?? Have You??

I find when a technique that I onced thought I mastered has gone south on me, I try another technique. AC taught me that one.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise
    Recently I was tying some EHC for a swap. After 4 or 5 I lost the ability to tie in the wing!!?? These were size 16's, which I've tied before, with a deer hair wing. After trashing 3 I quit! Is it a form of writers block? I'm afraid to go back to the vise! I know that "if the horse throws you get back on" but I wonder!!?? I consider the Elk Hair or Deer Hair Caddis to be my best ties and suddenly I couldn't do it!
    Has this ever happened to you and what did you do about it?
    Some days the parts don't all want to play together. When that happens I walk away from the task and do something entirely different before returning to it (and before I screw up anything else). I have experienced just what you described. It comes back in short order. Have a cocktail and don't worry about it.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Hhhhmmm...I hope my surgeon never gets that affliction

Good...I'm not the only one with this problem. Ditto what TyroneFly and Joe said.

I find that even with a good amount of tying experience and skills, tying is largely a mental game. When the mind isn't there, the results often show it.

Bourbon and a Huckleberry Hound cartoon on the always on TV at my tying bench help me get straightened out when things go south.

Seriously!

Jack,

My best tied flies result from one thing, Knowing when I sit down at the vise....That not a one of them is going to be for me!...Never fails...It's alway's the flies I either tie for swap's or for the guy's that are constantly asking me for certian pattern's....never those I know are for my own boxes....

I've learned to make the last half dozen extra's for myself though.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Jack,
    The Title of your Post says it ALL!!!! I lose it on a regular basis and then forget where I put it!
    My philosophy is "If Today is Bad, then Tomorrow will be Better!"
    Your not going Crazy (Unless your already there!)
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Hi

I have found that some nights I am not mean't to tie a thing, everything I do goes wrong. Its of no use to me being there, sitting in front of my tying bench so I give it the flick and not bother till next time. Then miraculously I can tie nearly anything.

Cheers

Jack,

Lately you have been giving most of your time and concentration to putting those tiny tippet rings on your furled leaders and I am concerned that you may be trying to put a tippet ring on your flies! If, so, that may be your problem!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread