+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide

Default Help me decide

Ok I need help deciding what type and then I think I can find a model to suit me.

I will be fishing medium-sized streams, some ponds and an occasional lake. I want to take float trips down these streams to camp overnight and fish. I also will be just floating for recreation on streams.
    I doubt I will venture far on lakes and will never see an ocean with the kayak.

I will be doing mostly flyfishing with some spinning rod use. Actually I will probably take both with me on the kayak when I go. I mainly fish artificial lures but could see me using some live bait seldomly. I fish for trout, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, rock bass, crappie and bluegill.
    I can see me using the kayak on a stream to get to places to wade fish mainly. And on ponds and lakes to fish from the boat mostly.
    I will fish year-round. Mostly in the winter, spring and fall. Many times it will be too hot to fish in the summer but that is when I will probably use it for recreational floating down rivers. Winters here are mild and only occassionally will the shoreline be frozen.

I am 6'1" and 220lbs of pure, rock-solid muscle . Really I am 49 and in decent shape and very athletic. I catch on to things very quickly.

I am leaning the direction of an SOT but will welcome good advice to the contrary.

I am also leaning toward a Pelican Castaway 11.6 mainly because of it's reasonable cost and the decent reviews I have read about it. I realize it is an "entry" kayak and know there is better out there. I understand the paddles that come with it are junk.

I have a Thule rack already but will need a kayak mount.

I guess I covered most things.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Default Re: Help me decide

BBW,

If, when you make up your mind, you get a SIK, be sure you don't get one that's less than 11' in length. I'm 6'3" and I couldn't get into anything smaller and be comfortable. If you decide to go with a SOT (which sounds like what you really want) I doubt that length will matter where comfort is concerned, but decide based on stability.

Just my thoughts on it all...

[url=http://www.lunceford.org/fishing/yakrig.html:5e913]My SIK[/url:5e913] and accesories/modifications.

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

At 6'1", 220# you will not be happy with the Pelican Castaway. It is heavy, slow, wet and doesn't track well. I would recommend going with either an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13, Wilderness Systems Tarpon 14 or a Heritage Marquesa 14. They do cost a little more, but you will make it up in quality and resale value. If you want to stay a little shorter, maybe the Ocean Kayak Caper or Wilderness Systems Tarpon 12. Another option is the Native Watercraft Ultimate 12. It's sort of a hybrid between a canoe and a kayak, but a very nice fishing platform.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

BBW:

In your post you said that you would be camping out of this boat. In my mind that raises a question. Is a SOT kayak what you really want? You will have to strap all of you camping gear to the top of the boat. I have camped a lot from a canoe and you just put your gear in a dry bag and strap it in and go. My kayak has hatches and the gear goes in and stays dry (sort of). I have never seen anyone camp out of a SOT kayak. I am sure that others here have done it and will be able to tell you how well they function as a barge for camping gear. If you are fishing in cold water at all, my very limit experience with SOT kayaks is that you do not stay all that dry. Just some thoughts.

David

What ever you decide you will achieve your goal of getting to places to wade. You're also invited to come over and join us on the Duck of Elk Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by djo
    BBW:

In your post you said that you would be camping out of this boat. In my mind that raises a question. Is a SOT kayak what you really want? You will have to strap all of you camping gear to the top of the boat. ... I have never seen anyone camp out of a SOT kayak. I am sure that others here have done it and will be able to tell you how well they function as a barge for camping gear. If you are fishing in cold water at all, my very limit experience with SOT kayaks is that you do not stay all that dry. Just some thoughts.

David

Most all SOT have a large front hatch and a rear tankwell. Camping gear is stowed in the front in the hull under the hatch. It's nice and dry and out of the way. Coolers are strapped in the rear tank well, which, in most newer designs, are plenty large for most medium sized coolers. Before you buy, check out weight capacity. In most cases it will be over 400#'s including the paddler.

I live in Florida so it doesn't get that cold. In the winter, I wear a pair of chest high waders and use scupper plugs. I stay plenty dry and warm and I've been out in 40 deg weather before.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

These guys do Yak camping trips and anything else you can think of that can be done in a yak....Great Fourm/BB !!

http://www.georgiariverfishing.com

For a great site for researching and or purchaseing boats....

http://www.theoutsideworld.net

You'll find alot of info on rigging your boat at GRF as well..Sonar,Transducers,anchor trolley's...it's all there..and Camping too...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Great input so far. Thanks. Yeah my main worry with the Pelican is resale value and resale ability. Most that have it say the hull is very strong and pretty scratch resistant. They also say the low seat can mean a wet ride.
    Yup most SOTs nowadays have dry storage up front. My main reason to want an SOT is ease of getting on and off as I can see me doing that frequently.

Hmmm Pelican for $400 or others for 750-1,000. Like I said that is where I will make my decision.

I think I know I don't want moulded foot wells. That looks like it would be murder on the calves.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I use a kayak for fly fishing (spin fishing as well) on the rivers here in northern Arkansas. Most of the time I use the kayak to move from hole to hole and then get out and wade fish. Therefore I got a kayak with a large cockpit (a perception sundance 12 ft) Since I fish dam tailwaters most of the time this has greatly improved my safety factor I I don't get caught by rapidly rising waters. I like my sit in kayak a lot, but my fishing buddy uses a sit on top and prefers it. I have found that when I use stocking foot waders with seperate wading boots I tend to drag a bit of water back into the yak each time I get back in (I keep a sponge in the yak to remove the water). Waders with built in boots do not drag much water back into the yak. The kayak allows me to reach places that are unavailable to other wade fishermen and to get to other places more quickly. I fish the White and North forh rivers which both can build up some pretty good currents when they begin generating, But I've learned to read the currents and by keeping to the backeddies and the slower currents near the banks, I can travel upstream against the current for a few miles. It can beat the crap out of you though so you have got to keep that in mind. I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't have a car downstream then its best to paddle upstream - then if the current comes up you can drift back down to your takeout spot. But now I'm starting to ramble - in any case I think you will find a kayak very useful and a lot of fun no matter which style you choose.

All of the previous suggestions/comments are excellent, but you are failing to take into consideration the most important factor - what kind of water will you be fishing. Just like there isn't on fly rod/fly line that will serve all fishing situations, there isn't one style of boat that will fit all types of fishable waters.

You need to ask yourself how and where will you be using this boat 80% of the time. Will you be fishing out of this boat or will it be used as a means of transportation to places where you'll likely wade? What type of distances do you intent to travel when you are on the water?

If most of your fishing is in flat water (ponds and lakes) then you can use just about any type of craft, pontoon, canoe, kayak, jon etc. If you'll be spending most of your time in slow moving water then you may want to consider a SOT kayak. If you'll be in fast moving water a SI kayak or a canoe might be better.

How often will you be camping? Once or twice a year? If so, you can usually jurry rig something to hold your gear. But, if you'll be doing a fair amount of camping, you'll need something with storage space like a canoe.

Before deciding on anything, give a lot of thought to where you'll be using your boat.

+ Reply to Thread