+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waders- Again

Default Waders- Again

I know that this topic has been beaten to death- It's right up there with "What's the best 5 weight?". But since I haven't been in the market for a while, I was wondering which brand is likely to last. The three I remember consistently being highly rated are Simms, Dan Bailey's, and Patagonia. I've had Simms, they were good, but their service did not impress me at all. I want waders that will keep me dry for a long time with a minimum of hassles, preferably for less than $300, but I'm willing to pay a bit more if that's what it takes. Fire away.

Jeff

Default Re: Waders- Again

I have had great luck with the Orvis Clearwater, Simm's Freestone, and lately have been using the William Joseph Namic waders, these are all breathables and well built, the orvis waders did not like climbing barbed wire fences , but I dont think orvis had me in mind or they would have been made of kevlar , these waders are all reasonablly priced 130-290 dollars. and all are very comfortable.

good luck

darryl

All waders leak eventually
    The question in my mind is do you get more value out of a $ 300 pair or a $100 pair
    All of my waders for the last 20+ years have come from Cabelas
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

The Simms waders are on closeout now for new models coming. The Guide is $300 and the G3 is $350.

Quote Originally Posted by dudley

All waders leak eventually
    The question in my mind is do you get more value out of a $ 300 pair or a $100 pair
    All of my waders for the last 20+ years have come from Cabelas
    Good point, they all will leak in time, how long it takes for the leaks to happen depends on how you use them. I look for quality construction and comfort first and formost, if you have a good fly shop or a cabela near you go try them on and move around ( bend, squat, crawl, you will get some funny looks in some shops ) then decide what works best for you. for me I spend a lot of time climbing fences crawling along the banks sneaking through thick brush (remember everything in texas pokes, bites or stings, including the plants). as Dudley pointed out cabelas and basspro are good sources for quality waders at good prices ( a friend of mine swears by the basspro white river waders at about $100.00). good shoping and let us know what you deciede on ( with a review).

darryl

IMO the best wader on the market under $300 is the Simms L2 at $249.95. I believe it's the most inexpensive Gore-Tex wader out. We have sold TONS of these waders and everyone seems to love them. As was mentioned earlier, Simms is changing the G3 and the guide, and you might luck out and find a pair in your size at a great price, but you better get on it! They are going fast! Simms will have some GREAT new stuff out, but most won't be avaliable till the new year.

I like the patagonia watermaster have a pair and they fit like they were custom made for me, This is saying a lot I am 6 foot 7 inches and almost 300 lbs
    Ghost

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I always go with the sock foot type, first off, because I can use tennies or wading boots, sandals, whatever.
    I have a pretty high internal thermostat, and the neoprenes are too warm most of the time. The last pair I bought are Hodgens, came from GIJoes. around $120. They are the new breathables and fit me well, I'm about 6', 300#. they're pretty tough, I've used them two seasons now, and haven't torn them on brush.
    I don't have many fences to contend with, but I think barbwire would definitely hurt 'em. But like was already said, they all leak sooner or later. This breathable material looks like it would hold a patch well.
    ..............ModocDan
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

i have the simms guide weights and they have 6 years on them now great waders, great service
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

Last weekend, I was on my way to getting a new pair of Simms G3's. Instead, I stopped at the local Orvis, and purchased a pair of pro-guides for $168.00 (including tax). The waders were on sale, and their Orvis Days sales even is going on right now. I just checked on-line, and the pro-guides are on sale their too - $199.00. These are normally appx $300.00 waders, and Orvis does have great customer service. Yes, the Simms are great, but I couldn't pass on this price.

+ Reply to Thread