+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many days a year do you have to fly fih to be a fly fish

Default How many days a year do you have to fly fih to be a fly fish

This question comes out of the string that Deanna (LF) started on women fly fishing.

My answer is if you ever tryed it and still have a rod or access to one you are a fly fisherman !! I think most will disagree with this, but if not how many days a year do you need to fish to be one or is it a mind set with fishing not required?

How many days a year do you flyfish? I Fish about 100 days a year about 80 of those I flyfish.

Rich

I'm sure some folks can only get away for one trip per year over a long weekend or something. It's probably because of where they live or their work/lifestyle schedule. I would still call them fly anglers.

On the other hand, I have a brother who owns a fly rod, but rarely uses it. He prefers bait fishing. I don't consider him a fly fisherman.

So, to me, the definition would have to do with the notion that whatever amount of time they spend fishing the majority is spent with a fly rod.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Great answer, David. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

i'll go one further: how many days do you have to fish to be a fly fishing fanatic? To judge, I've taken the warning signs for alcoholism and substituted fly fishing:

? You fail to fulfill responsibilities at work, home or school because of your fly fishing.
    ? Having continuous fly fishing-related legal problems.
    ? Your relationships are suffering because of your fly fishing, and you use your fly fishing as a substitute for committed relationships.
    ? Your friends have commented on and warned you about your fly fishing habits.
    ? You begin to crave fly fishing everyday, you become addicted.
    ? You seek solace and a way to get away from problem is fly fishing.
    ? You become very angry and irritable when you do not fly fish regularly

(uh oh...)

[This message has been edited by D. Micus (edited 20 July 2005).]

It depends upon the definition of "fisherman".

A couple of years ago my husband took out a couple of his fly fishing customers. They had previously talked at length about their various trips and fish they had caught so that he thought they were accomplished fly fishers. He was quite surprised to find that they really only got out once or twice a year, all guided trips, to destinations. They did not fish on their own or locally! And they would not have been able to find their own fish without a guide. Yikes!

Are they fly fishermen? Yes, I would say so. But, all fly fishermen are not equal!

A fly fisherman is someone who fishes only with flies and doesn't own any other type of fishing tackle. It's not how often they fish, but rather HOW they fish that qualifies them as fly fishers.

------------------
    Dick

You learn something new every single day of your life. If you don't, you weren't paying attention.

Dave, RW here,

Dave, I don't know you personally, but I like to read the stuff you write. On the other hand, if you test positive for all, or even some, of those warnings you posted you have issues........serious..serious..issues.
    lol.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Hi Rich,
    I've gotten the sense ( and I could be seriously mistaken ) that you now or once had an interest in a particular line of fly rods. If so, wouldn't you be, or have been, interested in how many actual fly fishers there are, who might be counted on to buy your product on a somewhat regular basis?
    Those numbers aren't being quoted at a Tuesday night bridge game for trivia sake, they're being put forward by an industry trade association.

So what's the point of counting every soul that ever touched a fly rod.....
    I got to play pilot for a couple of minutes once. I haven't called to check this out, but I'll bet that Bombardier hasn't got a Learjet parked in the will call area, waiting for me to pick it up.

How about this, it's not how many times one's gone fly fishing, but how often they've participated in some activity or aspect of fly fishing. In other words knowing that Uncle Henry has a fly outfit in his garage that they can borrow, doesn't make them a fly fisher. Knowing the condition of and maintaining the fly outfit in Uncle Henry's garage, might.

Signing up for and completing a related class or seminar, on their own, might.
    Seeking out and reading a book or five on the subject, might.
    But merely laying ones hands on the gear a time or two....not in my book.

Best, Dave

Dick .... THAT IS PURE HORSE SH@#$#$!! and very arragont of you to say that! I Fly fish (and I would bet better than you) I bait fish better than most I am a good hand with a bait casting reel in a bass tourny. and I can throw a spinner with anyone. and you say I am not a flyfisherman!!

BLA!!!

Dave You are right the #'s are important and yes I was a rep for years in the tackle Business. We spent a lot of time trying to get more to start and out of that some stayed BUT it is never important that they fish only buy. this is a SWAG I feel only 20% the rods and reels sold ever see water more than once a year (all kinds) Most of mine don't see water at all and I fish 100 days a year.

Rich

+ Reply to Thread