+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repairing cork grip

Default Repairing cork grip

I have a ST. Croix Avid and it has developed several rather large chips out of the cork. What is the best filller to use to smooth it out again.
    Thanks
    Tom

Default Re: Repairing cork grip

Tom,
    Take an older, worn out cork grip on a rod you never use anymore (got any kids that never use a cheapo rod?) and sand the cork grip to obtain a small pile of cork "dust". Mix this with a glue of choice (Titebond 3 or??) and use this "paste" to buildup as you need. Depends on how large your voids are but you can build this up over a couple days, allowing drying between adding layers.

I'm no rodmaker, just a woodworker but this is what I'd do.

Jeremy.

A bottle cork will work too
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

thanks the wife likes wine so can get one of her corks to use .. thanks again
    Tom

I have repaired large chips in my cork grips with wine bottle corks. I ground out the defect using a drum sander attachment in my drill press (diameter sized to match the wine cork, slightly smaller works best.) I sliced the cork in half so I had a flat surface on one side and glued the repair in place using Titebond II and a light spring clamp.

When the glue had set I carefully trimmed the excess with an exacto knife and hand sanded the patch to match the surrounding surface. The repair is slightly visible since the grain on the patch runs in a different direction than the grain in the handle. I was more concerned about the 'feel' , the damaged area was just under my thumb and would often give me a blister.

For a less visible repair use a cork ring cut into a triangular wedge, the sloping sides help fill any gaps as clamp pressure is applied.

+ Reply to Thread