+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to change the side that the reel handle is on?

Default Possible to change the side that the reel handle is on?

I have a Sage 1680 and couple other smaller fly reels. They all have the handle on the left side which is opposite than what I normally use with other reel types. I've noticed that most of the reels I have seen all have the same thing. Is this standard with fly reels? Normally when I am fishing with a baitcaster I reel the line in with my right hand while holding the rod with my left. WIth my fly rod/reel I have to strip with my left, (which is perfectly comfortable for me), but reeling with my left feels awkward. I have tried turning the reel to put the handle on the right side but then I have to reel backwards and that feels just as awkward.

Default Re: Possible to change the side that the reel handle is on?

Not all, but most fly reels can be converted from one side to the other. I would suggest you check with a fly shop in your area for more info on the various reels you own.

Welcome to Fly Anglers on Line.

Tim

Welcome to FAOL.

As Panman said, most fly reels can be converted to a right hand retrieve.

However, I would encourage you to give yourself some time to get used to left hand reel. IMHO it's worth the extra work. I am a 100% right handed person, and I have gotten used to left hand reeling. It didn't take that long really. I think it helps out particularly when you suddenly have that BIG one hooked, you don't have to risk switching hands.
    Tim

Modern conventional wisdom sez to hold the rod with your off hand and reel with your dominate hand
    (I of course prefer to do it the other way around, the way that Tim#2 describes )

If you bought your reels new, or used in the box, you should have paperwork that should describe how to change from left to right hand retrieve.
    In most cases with disk drags, this only involves reversing the ratchet gear on the spindle. Some times there is a plate that holds in the ratchet gear that must be removed. Often the ratchet gear will just pull off and then you turn it over, replace it, and then reverse the backing/line
    With click&pawl drags you need to switch the angle of the pawl ( the little triangle things)
    Got it?
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by dudley
    Modern conventional wisdom sez to hold the rod with your off hand and reel with your dominate hand
    (I of course prefer to do it the other way around, the way that Tim#2 describes )
    Modern conventional wisdom does not always come to us unbiased. Please tell me where you saw that statement so I can have "dialog" with that person or persons. That makes as much sense as "the only good casting rod is a (insert name here)." That sounds like another statement meant to make fly fishing look like it's hard to do. I tell people to do what comes most naturally to them, and they will have a more enjoyable fly fishing experience.

Joseph the Unconventionalist (if there is such a thing)
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe,
    The gentleman I heard that from is named Bernard "Lefty" Kreh
    Call him up, I'm sure he'd value your opinion
    Lee Wulff wrote that the dominate hand should hold the rod and the off hand should reel.
    Since that's the way I do it anyway, I prefer to agree with him
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I'm not concerened with conventional wisdom or with what some fly fishing "legend" says is best. I'm concerned with what is comfortable for ME.
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I took it to BPS yesterday here in Katy and Mike swapped both of my reels at no charge.

s1rGR1nGO:

Great. Looks the the problem is solved. I assume that BPS is a store that is fly fishing wise and worth doing business with.

Good luck with your fly fishing.

Tim

BPS = ( Bass Pro Shop)
    --- Horace Kephart

as i understand it, fly reels were manufactured with the handles on the right hand side. the reasoning being , most people were right handed and could retreive line quicker with your right hand. over the last twenty years or so their seems to be a switch towards retrieving with your left hand. i , and maybe incorrectly , attribute this to the advent of the sprinning reel which were mostly left hand retreive when they hit the market. so many people were introduced to fishing with them that when they moved up to fly fishing they naturally wanted a left hand retrieve reel.

me personally , i retreive with my left hand and have done that since the midsixtes. reason i was brought up in a spinnig reel and am used to retrieving with my left hand, and dont beleive i can do it quicker with my right hand, and dont like changing my rod hand.

whats all this got to do with thequestion of changing the side that you reel on , nothing really.

i would search out your rell make and model number on the internet, and you maybe able to find information on swapping the side.

+ Reply to Thread