+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SA Ultra 4

Default SA Ultra 4

Does the tip of an SA Ultra 4 line have good floatation? I am considering the #5, DT.

any thoughts on the line would be appreciated.

I am basically looking for a general purpose DT #5 line. My Rods are a GL3, and a GLX. The GLX is said to be a fast action rod, but it doesn't seem so bad to me. I've been using a Rio Selectiive Trout DT on it, without feeling like I'm not loading it, and I tend to fish up close.

thanks
    Mark

Default Re: SA Ultra 4

mark, I use only SA Ultra 4. 6wt. WF and 3wt. DT. I have only used heavily weighted flies, so i haven't seen any tip flotation, but overall, it is a FANTASTIC line.

nen-bran

Why not go with the Scientific Anglers GPX 5 weight DT?
    I own the GL3 and would recommend that line for it to anyone,,,loads it very very nicely.

As for the ultra 4, One of my buddies has it and the tip floats like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by flyandtie
    Why not go with the Scientific Anglers GPX 5 weight DT?
    I own the GL3 and would recommend that line for it to anyone,,,loads it very very nicely.
    I had that line, but was thinking I might try one a bit lighter, since that is 1/2 heavy. I was not unhappy with it, other than I wished the tip floated better. SA claims there newer lines do float better.

Does the tip float well on that ?

If the tip floats well on the GPX, I would say its a good line. It is in the running

thanks
    Markg

Tip floats great on my GPX!

With few exceptions, I think you'll find adequate performance from most of the brand name lines on the market today, including the Ultra4.

Of course I'm probably wrong, but I can't help but think that anything changed in the design or manufacture of the current generation of lines which drastically improves tip flotation comes at the cost of durability or delicacy...due to less dense coatings at the tip or increased coating thickness at the line tip. Even if the previous statement seems completely erroneous, the following shouldn't; clean your line often, avoid stomping on it, examine it for premature wear...in essence, give it the care due to any fine piece of equipment. To help prevent the core from wicking water, you can seal the tip with pliobond, aquaseal...I hear some use super glue. Fishing strong, broken water and pocket water also make it tough to keep the tip on top. Forgive me for repeating what you may already know.

I am basically looking for a general purpose DT #5 line.
    The taper on the Ultra 4 is similar to the RIO ST, but with a uniform body. If that appeals, go for it. Some other thoughts...

RIO Classic: just a bit shorter in the taper than the Ultra 4; another possibility if you like RIO lines.

SA Mastery Trout: a very compact, concave taper; good for fishing close with delicacy

Cortland 444 Peach: a supple, durable line; an affordable workhorse; excellent general purpose line.

From your post, it sounds as though you are pleased with the GLX/RIO ST match. I think any of the above lines (including the Ultra 4) would perform nicely on a GL3...and probably make for an interesting change of pace on the GLX.

And if you ever buy a floating line that sinks unreasonably despite your tending to it, consider returning it or shoot the mfr an email. Like everything else, there are the occasional duds...and mfrs realize that.

I've been told the Rio Classic and the Cortland peach are the same taper. True?

+ Reply to Thread