+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage SLT Review, was Rod & Reel Decision Made

Default Sage SLT Review, was Rod & Reel Decision Made

Well, I got to spend a day with the new 7'6" Sage SLT 3wt and Orvis BBS II reel. I think it's a keeper. I mailed the warranty card in today

Yesterday, I went to a local tailwaters. First, this tailwater is not where a short medium action 3wt is really meant to shine. I bought this for small streams with tree canopy. But, I wanted to give it a workout and see what it was capable of doing in my hands. How a rod fishes says a lot more than how it casts in the back yard, at least to me. I know some more experienced fly fishermen (and ladies) can pick up a rod and tell a lot about it, I'm not there yet. I have to get it on the water.

First, I wish I could say I caught a lot of fish. Unfortunately, I only caught 3 on Saturday. Two were chunky browns. One was 14" and one was just shy of 16". The third was a brown, but smaller in the 10" range. The larger fish really put the bend on the 3wt. It was a LOT of fun catching them. I'm used to a 5wt.

The first few casts, just like the hour on the lake, didn't lay out the way I wanted them. I'm more accustomed to a 9' 5wt. Even though they didn't lay out just right, I could tell that I was going to like this rod. The action has a little more guts in the butt than I thought it would, but the flex is just wonderful. In watching the rod (I know, should watch the line, but I wanted to see what the rod was doing), the loading flex started about 1/2 way up the rod and made a very nice looking flex at the tip.

After a couple casts to get used to the actin and the lighter line, I started serious fishing. I tied on a #18 Adams with a 9' 6X leader and started casting to a rising trout about 25' away from where I was standing. I layed the fly about 6-8' upstream from where the fish was rising and had a take on the first cast. Unfortunately, I was still thinking about how the rod cast and how I would describe it here and missed the strike. For the next hour, I could not buy a strike. During this time, I got very comfortable with the rod. It really felt like an extention of my arm.

Since this is not a fishing report, I won't give blow by blow about the fishing.

The Orvis BBS II is the perfect reel for this rod. The balance and weight are perfect. This rod and reel combination are very light and the casting weight is almost non existant. I fished for 8 hours and at the end of the day, there was no fatigue. In fact, I did not notice any muscle tiredness at all.

About mid day, the wind picked up a little bit. It was gusty for about an hour as a front line cleared out. This is where the little extra backbone came in. While nobody would call the SLT a fast rod, it creates enough line speed to cast into the wind. I honestly would have preferred my 9' 5wt Scott G2 in the wind, but the SLT 7'6" 3wt did quite well.

Since none of the fish I caught were huge, I can't say how it would handle a hog, but the 16" brown was not too much to handle. The drag on the BBS II was smooth. I really didn't need to get that fish on the drag, but I wanted to see how it performed.

To wrap up, my overall impression of the SLT is it's a very smooth casting rod. It is forgiving of my mistakes and it lays out dry flies very gently. I was using #18 Adams, and #22 griffiths gnats. I also did a little nymphing with #18 BH Pheasant tails and a yarn strike indicator and all cast smoothly and laid out over the water just where I wanted them to.

I am using Rio Trout WF 3 floating line.

Anyone looking for a smooth casting 3wt, I would recommend checking out this rod. It's being discontinued by Sage as they introduce another medium action rod. There are some very good prices out there on the ones being cleared out

I hope this is helpful to you all.

Jeff

====================== original message below ====================
    Last week a lot of you all offered opinions on various rods I was considering. I weighed the opinions, reputations of the companies, and casting qualities of the various rods on my list.

I made a decision today and it's one I think I will be happy with.

I have a Sage SLT 7'6" 3 weight on the way.
    I picked up an Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock II reel with Rio Selective Trout line from a forum member.

I have the reel in hand (set it up for right hand retrieve tonight as I cast left handed and reel with right hand)

The rod should arrive in a couple days. The shop said it was going to ship out this afternoon.

I will give a full fishing report after I get it on the water.

Thanks to all for a spirited debate and for being so open in sharing your personal experiences.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Rod & Reel Decision Made

Cool!!!

Hope it's everything you wanted it to be!

Wow! That's quite a setup. Best of luck with it.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe,
    I hope you're in a far different time zone than me. Your post is time stamped 3:09am. If you're up that late reading FAOL, you have a much more advanced case of the sickness than I do.

Thanks fof the comments and positive feedback from both you and Chris. I sure do hope I end up liking this set up. If not, it'll be listed on the things for sale board as I begin the search all over again.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:

I am looking forward to your report on the new equipment. I think you'll be very happy with that setup. I have had my SLT now for a few years and really like it. I recently bought an Orvis BBSII for a 4 wt and like compact size and build quality.

Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1
    Joe,
    I hope you're in a far different time zone than me. Your post is time stamped 3:09am. If you're up that late reading FAOL, you have a much more advanced case of the sickness than I do.

Thanks fof the comments and positive feedback from both you and Chris. I sure do hope I end up liking this set up. If not, it'll be listed on the things for sale board as I begin the search all over again.

Jeff
    Jeff,

I went to bed at 12:00 and was wide awake at 2:30. This sometimes happens to older people. Part of it could also be due to the fact that I had to pick up a friend at 6;45 to meet another friend and go perch fishing.

I just got home from a poor day of fishing, but it was better than a good day at work. We had storms rolling thru the area and were contending with 5-6' waves, which later settled down to 3-4'. Now I have 6 perch to clean (whoopee doo), but it should be enough for dinner for my son and me. Mama doesn't eat fish.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Now I have 6 perch to clean (whoopee doo),
    Joe,
    There are a lot of days I would love to have caught 6 fish!

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:

The rod came in today. I think it's going to be a keeper. I took it out to a pond this evening for a few casts and it balances well and loads & casts very nice. I'm hoping to take it out on a stream over the weekend. I'll give a more indepth report after I have spent a day with it. From the initial outing tonight, I think it's going to do what I want it to do. The rod is very light, balances perfectly with the Battenkill Bar Stock II reel. I ran out of daylight far too quickly tonight but did manage to land 2 fish one was a very small bass about 5" and the other was a decent size bluegill that came in about 6". The bluegill put up a pretty decent fight on a 3wt rod with 6X tippet.

Mainly, I wasn't really out to catch fish but to test cast the rod on the water. I was very accurate with it and it performed just like it was supposed to.

Like I said, I'll give a more full report after having it out for a full day.

More to come

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:

Default Re: Sage SLT Review, was Rod & Reel Decision Made

bump =
    check out the first message in this thread for the review. I edited the original post to include the rod review.
    Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:

+ Reply to Thread