+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Potential MI Micro Fish-In: Muskegon Salmon!

Default Another Potential MI Micro Fish-In: Muskegon Salmon!

Not to take away from the discussion on the last thread, but it was getting a bit long, so thought I would start up a new one for this next potential Micro Fish-In. I will quote the previous thread:

"The best part was seeing everyone and spending the day with them. And to that extent, I wanted to let everyone know what we decided to do next. In about a month, the salmon should be stacked in the local rivers, and in full spawn/nasty attitudes. We decided to give her another go, this time on the mighty Muskegon near Newago. Tentatively we are thinking about Saturday, October 13th (pending everyone's schedules). If you have never tried hooking up with a salmon it is a real experience, sort of like trying to lead a bull around by a rope and a halter (whereas hooking up with a steelhead is more like trying to RIDE THE BULL)! Grab a 8 or 9 wt and head up for some fun! Don't have steelhead outfit? No sweat, I have an extra outfit someone can use, and I am sure someone else has one as well. I will be tryin out a new 14 ft spey outfit that day , so my old standard 9 ft outfit should be free. You can also, bag the salmon and target the lake run and stream browns and even possibly some steelhead that pod up below the spawning gravel to gorge on salmon eggs. The Muskegon is a beautiful river to be on in the fall, so make your plans to attend".

Well, anyone seriously interested?

Default Re: Another Potential MI Micro Fish-In: Muskegon Salmon!

Jim if I can get away from work count me in. It would be an honor and a privilege to fish with you again. Keep me posted please.
    Remember we all live down stream

I might be up for it( read that recovered from this past weekend) I wont know for sure till next week. Would need to borrow a Heavier set up though heaviest I got around here is a 5wt.
    Bill

Jim

That is a bad weekend for me. Unless the date changes, I will not make it. Don't change your plans just for me, I just wanted to let you know.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I would think that the salmon, and certainly the lake run browns, steelhead, and resident trout would still be around for another week or two after or perhaps a week earlier than the 13th, but not much more than that. What would work best for others? I would need to confirm with the wife about her work schedule.

Jim
    I will commit to the 13th but I have never gone for salmon before. My heaviest weight rod is a 7 with a Trion reel. Love to learn some stuff regarding them. I live close to the St. Joseph which I understand has a decent run of summer (skamania) and winter slamon. Which part of the Mo are you thinking of? Is it wadable or do we need my skiff or pontoon? Sounds like fun.
    Mark

Mark - You are welcome to use the extra 8 wt rod I have, and I am sure that others would have some extra rods as well. You could also use the 7 wt to target the lake runs and steelhead that pod up below the salmon beds. My thought is to start at Thornapple access and move down from there possibly. End of the day perhaps end up at Henning Park. Right now the river is quite wadable, and barring any major rainfall, it should stay that way, though it could also be fun to take the pontoons down from Thornapple to Henning, stopping here and there to fish to pods of fish along the way. Hmm... interesting idea.... How many people have pontoons out there? Or even a boat? I have a pontoon. Perhaps some float and others stay in just a couple of areas to wade fish, then we get together at the start, at lunch, and at the end of the day? Nothing set in stone, just kicking around some possibilities, seeing what may interest people. This is a big river, so it isn't hard to find plenty of water to fish, be it floating or not.

Jim
    I have a fourteen foot wooden skiff I built which two can comfortably fit in. I also have a pontoon which I would use if we decide to go that way. Either wading or drifting, your call. Sounds like great fun either way.
    Mark

Mark - check your pm

Jim a few questions on gear if I may ask:

1 My 8wt 9ft I think would be a good choice but at the moment it is loaded with WFF would that be OK or should I go to a sinking tip or sinking?

2 What flies would you recommend including sizes?

3 I have no pontoon or boat but do have a float tube would that be suitable?

Further more I should be able to make it on any date as long it is on a weekend.

Look forward to hearing from you and hopefully fishing with the gang,

Tim
    Remember we all live down stream

+ Reply to Thread