+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preserving bird skins

Default Preserving bird skins

I am preparing for a "fly material" gathering trip to north dakota. I would like to preserve the skins of some of the different ducks and phesants that we will get. Anyone have any good referance materials (books, websites, etc.), that can help me in preparing for the trip.

Default Re: Preserving bird skins

Quote Originally Posted by wildernesspaddler
    I am preparing for a "fly material" gathering trip to north dakota. I would like to preserve the skins of some of the different ducks and phesants that we will get. Anyone have any good referance materials (books, websites, etc.), that can help me in preparing for the trip.
    I do have this....
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... nning.html

Hope this helps

Skip

Fly Tying Materials by Eric Leiser. Covers most game birds.

This is the one I have.
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/review/week192.html:c4d60]From Field to Fly[/url:c4d60]

No real need for a book..

20 Mule Team Borax, it is a laundry soap booster, get it from most any grocery store, just bought a fairly large box for $4.19 the other day.

remove as much fat, meat as possible. Apply a liberal sprinkling of the borax, in a week or so apply some more if needed..

Is all you'll ever need to preserve the skins, I have quite a few duck, chicken, and small game skins that are from over 15 years ago and are in perfect condition. Just did a wood duck with it a week ago. Learned this from a taxidermist.

I agree 200% with RDL, I used to gather almost all my materials from the wild when I lived in WV. I tried reading up on the fixing and preserving skins feathers etc and it seemed long and a procsess. One day I was talking to this older gentlman who had been in flyfishing for a long time. He asked me if I wanted to save alot of time and money I said yeah. He said to buy some 20 mule team borax and put it on the exposed area of the skin, and let it sit for a week or so if need be, out of the way of outside animals. I was amazed, I found out that stuff will suck the life out of anything. skin, blood, fat, the cleaner the quicker of course, but if left on anything like that long enough it will draw it out and dry it up. It comes out alot better than alot of store bought stuff I'v gotten.
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

True you do not need a book. You can preserve any critter at all with only borax and salt. Fly Tying Materials is where I learned this in the first place. There are some good tips in the book as to how to skin the birds while saving as many of the feathers as possible. Also good tips on dying various materials. Worth having in your library.

Good point caddis, one I had over looked in my thinking, now that i think about it, I did learn alot from that area, education is always good...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Fatman Guest

All I use is borax. If you get too many extra skins let us know and we'll all be happy to help take them off your hands!!!!!!!!

Birds can be done with only Borax. On a fatty critter deer, bear, beaver or coyote a bit of salt will really speed things up.

+ Reply to Thread