+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod differences

Default Rod differences

OK,
    I've settled on a couple rods that I'm considering. I am looking at medium to medium-fast action rods. I want one in the 7'6" to 8' range and in 3 weight.

Here are the ones I've been looking at.

Winston WT / IM 6
    Winston BIIt
    Sage SLT
    Orvis Superfine Trout Bum
    Scott G2
    TFO Finnesse

Of these, I've test cast the Orvis and the Winston BIIt. I have not cast the Sage but with the fire sales going on with that rod being discontinued, the prices are quite attractive. Of course the IM6 Winston is no longer made, but there are a number of them floating around.

So, for those who have cast different examples, what's your opinion of these rods? What about the Sage SLT? I know they call it medium fast action, but how does it compare to the others.

I have a Scott G2 9' 5wt and really like it's action to give a baseline of the kind of rod I like.

I'm not really interested in bamboo yet.

So, let the comments fly. I got the go ahead from the Chief Financial Officer (aka the wife) to get my 3wt.

I have a Battenkill Bar Stock II reel on the way to go with my new short 3 weight.

Oh by the way, this rod will be used on small streams which have substantial canopy and streamside vegitation. for both trout and some bluegill/pumpkinseeds and smallmouth bass (not going after lunkers with this outfit).

Thanks,
    Jeff

eidted, I left off the TFO Finnesse series.
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Rod differences

I could have sworn I wrote this post but I didn't. I'm on the same wavelength but I'm somewhat reluctant in spending another $600+ on a 3 wt. I would'nt be using it as much but would enjoy it when I did(10% of my fishing time). I have entertained the WT but I'm having concerns about Winston right now. The SLT is a bargain right now so I'm inclined to look at it seriously and cast one. The Orvis and Scotts would be ideal as well but then both are over $500+ so I'll be following the responses you get here. I got my Waterworks Velocity setup last week so the rod is all I'm waiting to get.

My opinion. Those other two rods simply are not even in the same class as the Sage. There is no way to compare them. I make it my job to cast as many rods, reels, lines, etc. as possible. I do not get to them all, but many. From that I form my opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    My opinion. Those other two rods simply are not even in the same class as the Sage. There is no way to compare them.

JC,
    did you mean in a positive way? i.e. Sage the better choice? or are you sayng Sage is outclassed? Not sure from your response.

Thanks for your reply

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Let me say that I feel that Sage rods are more highly developed and give more of everything wanted for the money spent. I personally know the team who does the designing and actually many of the production folks too. The Sage is far above the Winston and Orvis any and every time. Again, just my opinion and why I do not own any Orvis rods nor Winston rods and why they are not sponsors here either. I continue to cast their products at the shows though.

For all that vegetation in the way I do not think I would spend a lot of money for a magnificent rod. I would buy a 6'-6" 2piece 2wt blank and build it. Overline it with a 3wt line and you are in business. The last 2wt blank I purchased was $20. The tippet is the weakest link of the set up. You don't even need a 3wt for what you described. I've been catching smallmouth bass all summer on the 2wt.

Just FYI

Gemrod

See if you can find a Diamondglass 7'6' 3wt to cast. That's my present small stream rod and I couldn't be happier. The feel of catching a fish on it has to be felt to be believed. It's as smooth as butter and roll cast like you wouldn't believe.

Just a thought, and it cost half of what some of the rods you're considering.

Last year I cast about a dozen 3wts of between 7 1/2 and 8 1/2 feet. I was looking for the ideal small stream "Smoky Mountain" rod. I already owned a Sage, didn't want another (just wanted to branch out).

I could not make the Winston rods work. Period. I tried a couple of WT's and a BIIx, and I could not cast them to save my life. Winston was out.

The Scott G2 was out, but it felt odd to me. I can't describe it any other way. Kind of damped, like I couldn't really feel the rod.

The TFO also felt damped, and really paled in comparison to the St. Croix Avid I cast alongside it.

As I said, I didn't want a Sage but I went to the shop to try a TXL. Didn't like the TXL but the 7 1/2' 3wt SLT was an absolute joy. I did not buy it though, because the shop offered me a killer deal on a 2pc 8' XP 3wt.

I've been fighting that XP for a year now. Now that the SLT's are discontinued, I went back to that fly shop. They had one SLT left - the 7 1/2' 3wt. I should say MY 3wt. I tried to resist, but my will faded yesterday.

I fished it for the first time this morning, along with my Battenkill Bar Stock II. FANTASTIC combo.

Find an SLT. You will not be disappointed.

92,,, it is not often, with any post on here,, but I understand and agree with every thing you just said. You must be a very smart person, too.

ok, this just my opinion.....(coming from someone who enjoys a nice slow to medium action)...*Steffen* I just think you should cast as many rods as possible **Steffen** without listening to what others say *Steffen* and go with what has the best feel to you *Steffen* and maybe think about not just a graphite rod, but perhaps venturing into the world of glass **Steffen** or even bamboo (just got my first bamboo rod and words cannot describe how nice it is)...

basically, if you're not so set on a medium-fast to fast action stick and if your'e not set on a graphite stick, check out some of the glass builders out there. Now, my Steffen rod isn't a 3 wt., it's a 5/6, but it has more "feel" than any 3 wt. I've ever owned or cast (a fair amount). there are other builders out there but, outside of my bamboo, my Steffen is far and away the finest casting rod I've ever owned...the thing has got some serious backbone too...

once again, just my opinion...probably different than 90% of the fly anglers out there but it works...

~Randy
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

+ Reply to Thread