+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darn dogs.

Default Re: Darn dogs.

Yup, our old mutt has reminded me to be more careful twice. I bought one of those Whitings variety packs when I first started tying. I carelessly left it sitting out on a low shelf. That was a HUGE mess. Then about two months later, I left a bucktail in the same place. Fortunately, the bucktail was still in large pieces, so it was mostly salvageable. Not her fault, strictly mine. She just knows it smells YUMMY!!!!

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

No, my dog don't show much interest in the fly stuff. But a couple years back, my wife's cat came out onto the porch really talkin it up, and she had a big ol' 2/0 steelhead streamer right through her snout. I never did know where she got it, it had a big ol' barb, and I only tie barbless. It was jammed in there pretty good and catnose is pretty tough stuff, seems like mostly gristle. She stood patiently, and endured me cutting the point off and pullin it out without much squirmin'. It had most of a nice tapered leader on it.....
    .........ModocDan
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

Hello ModocDan, saw the 'machinist' part of your profile and now wondering if I may have met you at a cane rod event in NOCA, or...if you make flyreels and perhaps I met you at a cane event in OR two shows ago. Good post about your cat !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

My sister's sheltie started sniffing arond my stuff when I was tying one day. I let him sniff a patch of arctic fox. He looked up at me with a very worried expression on his face ("What did THAT dog do? I don't want to make the same mistake!!) and has not been a problem ever since.

Ed

Normand Guest

why blame the dogs???

Dogs have keepers. Cats have staff.

I never thought about it but if one were to own a bird dog the constant smell of all those bird parts lying around must be hard. A buck tail would be like any other chew toy. I wonder it it would be safe to give them to the dog after you're done with them?

Rusty <><

I usually keep my tying materials in my van ready for a break at work. Well I just traded it in for a pickup and can't keep as much in there. Most of the materials are in a "rubbermade" (without a lid) in the corner of the living room waiting for a permanent home in the closet. Been there for a week now. Not a problem.

Well I just heard some shuffig and scratching behind me tonight, then it stopped. Out of the corner of my eye I see my cat walk proudly by. I look to see and he has my newest grey squirrel tail in his mouth walking off to the next room. Whoa buddy! I quickly take it from him and laugh as he looks at me with the "What did I do?" expression that he so often gives me.

I stuff that tail down as far as I can in the bin and 5 minutes later I turn around and, without a sound this time, he has it on the ground pinned under his front paw just staring at it like it was just moving. I look at him and he walks away. Hasn't touched it since. Must be positive it's dead this time.

+ Reply to Thread