+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furled Leader Observation

Default Furled Leader Observation

There has been a lot of discussion about adding a short length of mono with a loop to the end of your fly line to attach the leader to. When constructing a 10/8/6 furled leader you have a short section at the butt section that is actually 12 strands where the start and finish loops are made. I like to make my loops 3 - 4 inches long, 3 on one side and 4 on the other to hide the knots better. I think this "Hinge" section helps to turn over the leader.
    Other thoughts, ideas welcome! Call me crazy, if you want to!!
    Wait 'till you see my next post of "Tippet" material!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Furled Leader Observation

Jack,
    Can you post a link to a page where I can see how this furled leader thing is done? I have never seen one but if they aren't too hard to make I'd like to try making a few.

Greg

Buy the DVD.

Jack, Great timing...lol

You've mentioned in several threads of useing Coats and clark thread....I'm heading to Joann's fabric this eve...and am needing to know spcifically what types to look for...There must be 30 listed on their web site! Nylon? Assumeing not the twisted Nylon though.... Help me Jack!..lol

Another thing...And this is for anyone with input....I am wanting to make a good Bass leader for mostly top water flies, such as say a #2 sized Gurgler...and I'm thinking 4 lb Fireline Crystal ??? would this be heavey enough to turn over these rather beefy bugs?

Not sure if 4lb Berkley Transition would be a good way to go for this type of leader, Being as I'll mostly be fishing this rod at only one place and topwater..any thought's or Ideas are welcomed....
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Greg F
    Jack,
    Can you post a link to a page where I can see how this furled leader thing is done? I have never seen one but if they aren't too hard to make I'd like to try making a few.

Greg
    you can search here

http://www.google.com/search?q=furled+l ... =firefox-a

http://furledleaders.proboards26.com/

There are several posts and PDF files on how to furl at this bbs. I would suggest that you keep in mind that there is no one correct way to make a furled leader. There are numerous methods AND opinions around that tend to confuse beginners.

The best advice (mentioned above) is buy the DVD from Kathy Scott. Takes HOURS off of your learning curve.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Bill;
    I have used their nylon thread (twisted) and their .005 clear nylon. I've even made them from the Polyester Glow in the Dark thread! I've started treating the thread leaders with dubbing wax to make them float longer.
    If I recall correctly the Fireline has no streatch which may not be ideal for bass. Regular mono may work better.
    I do not like flourocarbon for top water flys. Not only will it sink small flys but makes lifting for another cast difficult.
    Greg;
    They are not difficult at all and a lot of fun to make. Kat's DVD will get you started. I had to get one as I could not fathom the written instructions!!

Thanks duckster! Just to lazy to search! And I'm a member over there too!!

Thank you Jack,

Leaveing in a few min... I'll prolly have to carry either a spare spool rigged for wet flies for a few other rods anyway....Ty, for the input helped greatly!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread