+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod blank insertion into cork handle

Default Rod blank insertion into cork handle

I'm building my first fly rod and I have a newbie question about the attachment of the rod blank to the cork handle/reel seat. The cork handle is approximately 7 1/2" in length. The reel seat is about 3 1/2" After reaming out the cork hole so the blank can be fitted how much of the blank extends into the reel seat after it has been glued to the end of the cork handle? All the way to the butt? Half way(1"-2"?) If the rod blank doesn't extend all the to the butt what material is recommended to fill in the "space?" I hope this makes sense.

Thank you.

Default Re: Rod blank insertion into cork handle

For strength I like to extend the blank all the way to the bottom of the reel seat. I also like to fine tune the length of the butt section so the finished rod sections are all exactly the same length when placed side by side in the rod sock. Some times this requires som slight triming of the tip section or butt section (by slight I mean 1/4" to 3/8", cutting more might effect the rods action.)

Keeping the sections all the same length matches the common practice on commercially produced rods, plus it prevents any sections from sticking out from thier neighbors in the tube, which might make them more prone to damage.

Yeah it's a drag when the new rod doesn't fit into the tube you built 'cuz your butt's too big

(__!__)
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

A big butt? Probably why I buy "loose" style fitting jeans!

kengore...Thanks. I'll be careful when adjusting the blank length.

Adios...

Quote Originally Posted by dudley
    (__!__)
    That's hilarious! How on earth did someone come up with that?!

I run the butt sections all the way into the seat. There are graphite spacers made which you epoxy into the reel seat. People also wrap masking tape or mesh drywall tape around the but section as a filler, but I think the graphite spacers transmit feel to your hand better. Ditchdoc

Most start out attaching the reel seat with epoxy by building up the rod blank with 4 wraps of masking tape to the ID of the reel seat as one has already mentioned The blank is all the way thru to the (cap) rear of the seat. Epoxy it in place then you ream out the cork handle to fit up to the reel seat. When you first begin a rod you should check for the spline (I know some dont) and that will determine where to place the guides. The reel seat hood alignment should be in line with the spline of the rod. BILL

Can anyone offer any thoughts on the epoxy to use when attaching reelseat? Is there an acceptable adhesive which could be found in the average hardware store? What about an epoxy to use in gluing up the cork grip and attaching it to the blank?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim if you feel 5 minutes isnt enough time ,buy anything but that at your local hardware that you feel you can mix with even amounts. Use it for the reel seat and cork.--Rod kits from Cabelas come with 2 easy mix packets of epoxy and rod finnish. One packet for the reel seat one for the cork handle. Everyone interested in rod building should get Cabelas "Tackle Craft" catalog for supplies and building instructions. BILL

I use 60 minute epoxy to attach the cork handle and reel seat. I used to use 5 minute epoxy until I discovered a mistake after about 6 minutes. Hardware store epoxy is fine for this, but not the wraps.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

+ Reply to Thread