+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was a 4 wt. the right choice?

Default Was a 4 wt. the right choice?

Hi All,

I'm second guessing a recent purchase, so I'm hoping to find some affirmation here.

I recently purchased a 4 wt. rod and reel (Orvis Battenkill BBS II reel, and the Sage 490-4 Launch Series rod). I don't doubt the quality of the equipment, I just want to be sure I selected the appropriate weight.

I usually fish for trout in medium sized rivers and smaller streams. I like to fish dries and small nymphs. Most trout I catch are in the 8"-16" range, but it is not uncommon to catch a brown or rainbow up to 23" - but this only happens a half dozen times per summer at most. (In July and August, I'll also target smallmouth bass using dries, woolly buggers, and small poppers).

Did I select and appropriate rod and reel for the type of fishing I'm doing (the trout in particular)? I really hope so...

By the way, for those of you that fish 4 wts., what is the largest fly (size 8? 10? 12?)that I should throw with this set up?

Thanks for your help,
    Andrew

I own several rods from 3wt to 6wt. I also fish small streams were the fish average 8" to 15" with an occasional whopper over 20"

I find that fish my 4wt rod more than all the others combined. The only time I leave the 4wt at home is when I travel to a larger river where the fish average 18" or larger.

You can land a larger fish on the 4wt, it just takes a little more finess. I like the 3wt on really small streams and pocket water when I am casting short distances and am wanting delicate presentaions, but it lacks the punch to cast up wind or to throw a size 8 weighted wooly bugger. The 4wt can toss a bigger fly just fine. If I was fishing big bass bugs and poppers all day I might use a 5wt or 6wt, but the big rods are too splashy for the small trout streams.

The only time I felt the 4wt was not up to the job was a trip to North Platte during run-off. We needed to fish big cone head buggers with extra split shot just to get the flies to sink before the current would push the boat past the target. I needed something that would sink 5 feet in just a few seconds.

Given the streams and situations you mentioned I think you have the best all round
    tool. I think you will be happy with it.

I have a Winston IM6 (known as WT these days) 9' 4 wt.
    If I had to define "trout rod" it would be my example.

I also fish small rivers and streams. My goto rod is a 4wt. so I'm with you. It does not have problems with fish the size you are talking about.

jed

4wt will suit you just fine.

my sage 4wt sp is my favorite rod to cast. it remains the rod to which I compare all others as far as action.

can someone explain why I have another 4wt blank (steffan bros) in the wings and am having a 4wt 'boo built?

your 4wt should manage fine for the bass you'll target as well.

mgj

Depending on the water I'm fishing, my go to is either a 7' 4 weight or an 8 1/2' 5 weight. I think you're right in there. I fish smallies as summer rolls in too, the only reason I go to the 5 weight more then is because I can turn over slightly larger flies with less effort and still don't overpower the fish. Also, 5 lb smallmouth are not uncommon around here and the little extra rod is nice.

By the way, you'll love that reel, good choice!

Should be just fine. I toss unweighted flies to size 4 (largest hook I normally use), and weighted flies to 1/64 oz with my four wt.

Jim

Yep!..4 wts fine & I agree with Jim on the fly size.
    Nice sounding outfit!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I'm with the rest of the guys. A 4wt is a great choice. I'm thinking about a new 4wt myself. Might go with a Sage SLT.

Enjoy your new setup!

Andrew,
    Yep that'll do just fine!I concur with all the others.

Ol' Bill

+ Reply to Thread