+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Micro Drag'

Default 'Micro Drag'

Would someone define this term for me. I've heard and read it defined numerous times and the definitions were always circular or did not make any sense to me. For example, 'Micro-drag is something we can't see but the fish can'. Well, in the first place, if it's something that's visual how do we know it's there and how can we correct it if we can't see it? In the second place, if it's visible, then it's just 'drag'.

Allan

It's drag but so minute we can't see it even though the fish can. Imagine a fly cast across three current changes, 40 feet away, think you can see everything happening? Bet you a fish hanging 6 inches below the fly can.

Micro Drag is the effect of the tippit moving the fly. Sometimes micro drag will actually spin a fly around in circles. Micro drag is very hard to see, unlike the drag caused by the line pulling the fly.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Micro drag is a term started by an eeeleet fly tyer as an excuse for a fish refusing and being insulted by his fly LOL

Rich

Rich,

I think you hit it on the head.

Allan

Hummm...I've "seen" my fly spin around as mentioned....lol..so that can't be cause by Micro drag..... Can it???...

I agree that Rich is deffinitly on track here....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

When you start worrying about Micro Drag.
    You are in the Zero Tollerance Zone. NOT a nice place to be if you really want to enjoy your fishing.Have fun and leave micrometer at home. Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

On certain streams in WV, we refer to "micro-drag" as drag while fishing midges. The guide that taught me how to fish 28's and 32's ( Elk River Trout Candy )on 10X tippet mentions "micro-drag" all of the time.

Chris

Allan,

If you want to debate the term "micro drag" we can surely do that, but as far as what is covered by it Ray has stated very accurately what I understand it to mean.

A fly is tethered by first the tippet, which in turn is attached to a leader/flyline. Generally our aim, when fishing moving water with a floating or sub-surface insect imitation, is to have the fly drift as if unattached to a 'cable'. The moment the 'cable' starts to influence the drift behavior, we have introduced drag. If there is a visible wake, we have serious drag. If the movements are small and more subtle, often undetectable by the angler, we move into the realms of what I would be very comfortable in calling 'micro drag', or any other description you care to share with us

I try very hard to avoid having my fly exhibit the very behavior, but at the same time accept I most often will fail. I merely survive by the tolerance displayed my fish

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places === [url=http://www.danica.com/flytier:3b80f]http://www.danica.com/flytier[/url:3b80f]

[This message has been edited by Hans Weilenmann (edited 21 July 2005).]
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Hans my friend,

I just wrote a lengthly response to your post but it disappeared into cyberspace )-:

Allan

+ Reply to Thread