+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Catfish, on a flyrod?

Default Re: Catfish, on a flyrod?

Quote Originally Posted by Thad S.
    Roger-
    Since this is the second time I have seen this pic I have to say, GREAT FISH . Furled leader or no?
    Hey, Thad, how ya doing down there with all those Okies? I haven't fished anything BUT furled leaders since learning how to make them last winter. This one came on my 8-wt. rig: a 6-1/2 foot, "7-5-3" made out of 4-lb. Vanish, with two feet of 12-lb. Vanish tippet.

Doug, probably 95% of the state's stocking programs in the eastern half of our state is a mix of largemouth bass, channel cats, and bluegills. We have LOTS of places to catch frying-pan-size channels for eating. The C&R lake for channel cats apparently is an attempt to create a trophy channel cat fishery. I hope that was their intent because that's what we got!!

Thanks for answering my question! I think it's an interesting idea to have a pond with C&R Cats. Could you tell me what food is in the ponds for the Catfish??
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

OBG-
    Okieland is great. I am only lacking fishing opportunities right now. The amount of water is not a problem, it is the lack of time that has me looking forward to fall break.

You must be putting some serious muscle into that 4 lb test to get it to furl well. I tried 4 lb but couldn't get it whipped (read furled) into shape. Maybe the trick is in the mustache- don't trim it, you may lose your strength.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    Thanks for answering my question! I think it's an interesting idea to have a pond with C&R Cats. Could you tell me what food is in the ponds for the Catfish??
    Doug

Doug, apparently it is a mix of largemouth bass and bluegills.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread