+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reel Recommendation for 6 wt.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

I'd have to cast a vote for an Abel Super 5, shown here on a Sage 697-4 XP.
    It'll take a WF-6 and 125 yards of 20lb. Micron ~ that should be more than adequate.

As for the Sage 697-4 XP ~ Fewer calories, taste's great!

All the best, Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave E (edited 19 July 2005).]

[url=http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1772448:cea78]http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1772448[/url:cea78]

I'm very happy with this one. I just purchased my second one for my stepson.

Well, my $.02 on top of the widely divergent advice above is that a 6 weight is not enough rod for heavy AK trout or the salwater species mentioned. If you are going for big trout, a 7 wt and an Evolution 3.5 is the recommended rig by my guiide friends. I fish the Ev 3.5 with an 8 wt for bass and big trout. I have an old Canyon 3 lined with 7 wt.

If I were going to use a Ross for the inshore saltwater species mentioned, it would be at least a Canyon Big Game 4.

I believe that you are trying to do too much with one rig (both fresh and saltwater), which is a little on the light side. If I had to make do, I would get a Ross BG 4 and an 8 weight with a spare spool for the saltwater line.

[This message has been edited by Rawthumb (edited 19 July 2005).]

I have the Ross Evolution 3.5 in slate blue. It's a good looking reel and since I have owned it I have put it's drag to work with some big browns and some frisky freshwater stripers on multiple occasions. The only thing dissappointing about this reel is the cost of spare spools.

If I were you I would take a hard look at the Lamson Litespeed in the LS3.

I would go with the Ross Evoloution, the Lamson Litespeed, the Waterworks ULA, and would also consider a Solitude.

The Solitude reels are designed specifically to excel in cold conditions.

The nice thing about reels in that price range is that you can't buy a bad one!!!

Rich

Thanks for all the good suggestions. The last post said it all, aren't we fortunate to have so many wonderful choices.

Rawthumb, I especially appreciated your comments. I know this rod might not be enough for large Alaskan trout, but I was thinking of the special purpose of drifting down a large fast river and needing to get 5-7 feet deep quickly. Picking up a sink tip and "flies", read that plastic beads that look like salmon eggs and the necessary anchor to get then down fast, is a challenge and I think the 6 wt TCR will be just the ticket for that.

As far as a light saltwater rig, I think it will be fun with 24"-28" reds or snook and I believe it will have the punch to deal with the wind that always seem to follow me around.

Believe me, I have no intention of being under-gunned in either case. Not good for the fish or the angler. I have Xi2's in 8, 9, 10, and 12 with Tibor reels to make sure that doesn't happen.

[This message has been edited by David Higley (edited 19 July 2005).]

I thnk the TCR 691-4 is a great rod. I have the 697-4 and both of these rods will throw a 7 wgt. line it's full length and not feel overloaded doing it. If I didn't already have a 9' 7 wgt. I would have bought the TCR 691-4 over the TCR 697-4. It's certainly grunty enough for very large rainbows.
    I use a Waterworks ULA LT 3x on mine and it's a good combo. Any of the top reels would work well but I would avoid anything too heavy for such a nice light rod.

DH: You are one of the few guys that posts here and on the SSM BBS. It must be nice being retired, worrying about upland hunting and chasing big fish.

This is an example of an Alaskan rainbow that is not an easy 6 weight fish.
    [url=http://www.mysticfishing.com/:203a4]http://www.mysticfishing.com/[/url:203a4]

[This message has been edited by Rawthumb (edited 20 July 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread