+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reel Recommendation for 6 wt.

Default Reel Recommendation for 6 wt.

I am looking for a reel to go with a Sage TCR 691 for heavy Alaskan trout, big river smallies and light saltwater(reds, snook and maybe bones) use. Right now I am considering both the Ross Evolution 3.0 and the Tibor Light Tailwater. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions.

Abel Big Game #1
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Ari Hart MachII or MAch III...

Rich

[This message has been edited by flymaker2 (edited 18 July 2005).]

It may be sacrilege to suggest such a thing, but after you decide between the Tibor and the Ross, consider spending another $70 on an Okuma Magnitude as a backup reel. I know ... how can you even consider defiling a Sage with an Okuma reel, but they seem to have reliable drags and once you consider the conditions you'll be exposing the reel to in AK, you may end up sheltering your better reel while you float the Goodnews or the Karluk or wherever your AK travels take you.

Good luck,

tt

I would go with the Tibor between those 2 choices.I have both Ross and Tibors reels and the drags on the Tibor are stronger with a wider range of adjustments.I also fish J Ryall reels and these are very nice reels.Super drags and light weight.Abel would be a good choice also.All these reels have good customer support and thats important.Buy American!

I almost bought a Ross Evolution a while back for a 5 wt. Nice reel and very light weight.

It was a tough decision but I ended up with a Galvan Rush. It's a little heavier than the Ross but great quality and about $80 less. One of the sponsors here, kkflyfisher.com carries them both.

------------------
    Joe

alsoconsider the Teton Tioga....From Teton Reels....you'll not be sorry....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

The Tibor Tailwater is too small for a 6 wt! Better to go up to the Back Country. The drag on these is a "brake shoe" type design.

I have several 6 & 7 wt. rods. I have a pair of Teton 7's std arbor and a Tibor Back Country, and a pair of Back Country Wides. I'd take the Tibor.

I have not used the Ross Evolution; but, have several Gunnisons and Canyon BG's (saltwater). Can't go wrong with a Ross either.

Abel #1 Big Game or Abel Super Series #6.

Dahema

10. Default

I recommend checking out Old Florida Reels.
    The price/quality combo is hard (make that impossible)to beat. For example, the #4 holds 7/8/9wt lines and is only $200. They also have large & super arbor models (#44LA $230).

Info here:
    [url=http://www.nautilusreels.com/Reels03.asp:4870a]http://www.nautilusreels.com/Reels03.asp[/url:4870a]

Regards,

Bob
    Fly Supplies
    aflyshop.com

+ Reply to Thread