+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to get into building bamboo rods?

Default Best way to get into building bamboo rods?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and have been thinking about learning to make bamboo rods. I've been considering learning by book (seems like the Cattanach and Maurer books are generally most recommended for newbies), by taking a class from one of a couple of builders in my area, or by buying an older bamboo rod and refinishing that for a start.

I built my first rod on graphite blanks and had a great time on that project so I'm thinking there's a very good chance I'll like building, or should I say making, a rod from the culm on up. I almost feel addicted, already.

I've found a couple of local builders who do classes for ~ $600 - $800 (to make the blank) and for me to do it on my own, I'd probably spend about that much putting together the basic tools for the project.

As for refinishing, I recently found two boo rods - both 3 piece, 1 tip Horrocks-Ibbotson rods for $70 or $120 (I think they are the Governor and Cascade models), but my understanding is that most H&I rods were not all that great, so if that's the case, I don't want to spend too much on one of these rods when that money may be better spent on a class or tools.

I've already found some great information by reading other topics in this forum - i.e. which tools I would truly NEED vs. those that are NICE to have, which books people like, etc.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions you might have!

~~ Dave

Default Re: Best way to get into building bamboo rods?

I'd recommend taking a class. Before you do, however, I should point out the following:

1.) Making your own rods isn't really going to save you any money (that is, if you put any sort of monetary value on your time).

2.) If you haven't cast or fished with a number of bamboo rods, you may want to do so before you get too far into this- bamboo is a realy great material, but if you expect it to act like your graphite rods, you're going to be dissapointed.

3.) Budget twice what you think you'll need to get started.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM/email me with any other questions.

Regards,
    Joe Martin

Dave, My 2 cents. I have an HI Cascade. That should be an impregnated rod, and mine is a casting machine. Gets a little heavy but I wouldny trade it for nothin. Thats the one I would refinish. If its just for you and not resale you can put a good reel seat on it and wrap it in the colors you like. I like Bellinger reel seats myself. Anyway have fun and be warned, once ya start there is no turning back

Bob Nunley, a well respected rod maker, sometimes jumps onto FAOL and he could give you some good insight.

I too have considered making my own cane rods, after retirement. If I had the money I would do the classes. It would sharpen the learning curve. Sometimes knowing what NOT to do is as important as knowing what TO do and you would have someone who can give you tips, pointers and etc. ...well, I would think that would be a huge advantage.

As for the H&I rods, I would refinish them yourself. If you have already built graphite rods then your already familar with some of the processes. You may find that you like those rods very much.

I agree with Bassman, you should first try a cane rod, if you have not already done so, to make sure YOU WANT to fish with them. Then again, there have been cane rod makers who didn't fish at all.

Just my .02
    Scott

I've been fortunate enough to apprentice under a "name" maker who held my hand through rod #1 and continues to offer support (advice, access to tools I don't heve, etc) as necessary as I work through #s 2 & 3. I'm also fortunate enough to know another guy, also always willing to answer questions, provide advice, etc. I'm acquiring tools as I go along, picking up what I can afford when I need it. otherwise I make the hour and fifteen minute drive to my buddy's shop.

it can be done.

Thanks everyone for the great replies!!

I'm not so much looking to get into building cane rods as a way to save money (tho, my wife may hear that argument ), but more because it seems like it could be a fun hobby that helps me learn more about rods/fishing.

I definitely plan on fishing/casting several cane rods before I do build one - particularly to get an idea of what taper I might like, etc. I know they cast differently than graphite - but that doesn't necessarily 'scare' me. My graphite rod is a Sage LL series and I've been told that it doesn't have the typical feel of most graphite (and Sage, in particular) rods. My casting instructor - who frequently fishes bamboo - said he liked that rod pretty well for graphite and after working with me on my casting, suggested that I might well be someone who would enjoy bamboo. Though, he also said he's never had the urge to build one Needless to say, he'll be one I'll be hitting up when I start testing boo rods.

I suppose I know that taking a class is the better way to go, it just helps to see different points of view that re-affirm that. So, while I'm working on getting the money together for the class.. might just have to see if those H&I rods are still available.

Thanks again for all of the input and I would be glad to hear any other thoughts folks have!

~~ Dave

Sent a PM with lists of equipment & references for rod crafting.

Well, the shop, most of the time, but when not, Mountain Home, AR

OK, first go buy a bag of glass marbles. Put the marbles in your mouth and every time you put knife or plane to cane, or dream about varnish, spit out one marble. When you've lost all your marbles, then you qualify as a rodmaker!

Seriously, there are a lot of resources out there. Everything from Books to DVD's to Classes by established rodmakers (I think a VERY well respected maker my offer classes soon, and I do mean VERY well respected, but I won't say his name in case I misunderstood).

Hit the conclaves and rodmakers gatherings where the Boo guys show up. See what they have, talk to them. I know I said there are a lot of books, but they can't write enough pages to hold all the little intricities of rodmaking.

The hardest part about this is to NOT get discouraged once you begin. I was fortunate enough to be able to buy back the first rod I ever made. If I think I'm slipping or something isn't as good as it could be, I look back at that first rod. If I had made that rod and never encouraged myself by saying "I can do better", then I would have quit a long time ago. By the way, I also have my 100th rod. Now, I'm approaching 600 rods quickly. The difference in 100 and now is amazing.

I know I sound like I'm bragging on myself, but that's not my intention. My intention is to tell you that the more you do this, the better you get, so don't give up if the first rod, or first 50 rods, don't look like a Kusse or Taylor or Aroner. Just keep on plugging away and you'll get better with each effort.

By the way, get in on the Thursday Night Bamboo Chat with Ron Kusse (QC). Ron is great about answering questions for makers, both established and aspiring.

Later,
    Bob
    www.rlnunley.com

On an aside, you need to check out Nunleys sight. He chronicles what can go wrong. Lotta chuckles there

10. Default Re: Best way to get into building bamboo rods?

What do you think about getting your feet wet by starting with a Poor Man's Quad, or 2-strip 4-sided rod? It seems like it would be cheaper and easier than going all out with the tools and forms.

+ Reply to Thread