+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'd like some info and more elaberation,

Default I'd like some info and more elaberation,

On a recent thread,It was talked of, Level Lines.
    And I'd like to know a Lil more of the pro's and con's of these, As I've never personally used one.
    1.One big Q I have is, Is there one offered by SA, With the AST Line properties...?
    2.Where and how do these lines shine in the fishing Dept...? Lakes,Streams,Rivers.Pond fishing perhaps...?

As I remember Chris Chin stated that he could'nt think of why these lines were'nt more popular...or why they'd been held off to the back of the shelf...I'd Like to hear from ya....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 19 July 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I don't see any advantages to level lines other than the much lower cost. I have used one trolling for landlocks from a canoe where you don't really cast other than to just get the line out. They are not fun to cast but they will certainly work.

Bill,

IMHO, ... the advantage is in the price. Trolling or chuck 'n duck situations ;

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:0bb51]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:0bb51]
    Christopher Chin

Basically a level line is a running line. You need one to chuck and duck in the fly only section of the Salmon River. Dan

You Guys are not giving the level line a good shake here I would guss less than 5% of you have ever owned one. Lets go through the pros and cons with out considering the price.
    First what makes a good line. only 3 things floating well and going through the guides well (finsh) and presenting a fly well.

#1 the larger tip dimater floats better
    #2 the line will load the rod sooner.
    #3 they roll cast almost as well as a DT.
    #4 they turn over heavy fly better that a tapered line with a light tip.
    #1 level lines land on the water harder than a tapered line with a light tip.
    #2 they will not cast as far as a WF (only because of the friction of a larger diamiter.

The fact is they turn over as well as any line, so if you have trouble with them IT AINT THE LINE. A good quality level is a much better tool than a poor quality tapered line.

They are great lines to play on the lawn with ( price )

Do I fish with them, YES they make a great line out of a drift boat.

Why don't companys push them you ask. PROFIT!!! 50.00 line dealer takes 25.00 to the bank. 15.00 line he takes 7.50.
    and the cost of manufacturing is almost the same!
    SA and cortland only make good quality but sadly not the top quality.

Rich

Rich,

Thanx, .... I never thought about it like that

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:6d02d]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:6d02d]
    Christopher Chin

Absolutely agree with Rich Ward on this one.
    And it is our most used line for tossing top-water bass bugs.....from foot or afloat. And we DO enjoy casting them!.....L lines.
    They may hit just a tad harder than a taper, but if you expend the energy in the air and let the line FALL, it seems to fo fine.
    ......lee s.

what is a good general distance to expect from, Say a 6wt. Level line,In light/moderate winds,with a 9'6" rod....??...I ask this and am courious for one reason...Most of my fishing is Bass/Panfish oriented.....partly because I really don't know this area that well yet...Been here over a year.

And finding time for fishing/Scouting rather limited,Ajusting to life with a fam, is interesting to say the least......I did alot more trouting while in PA...

Money is one thing..but it's not the be all end all..as there are always Headstart lines...which save cash anyway...and still have the ast.....which already says they are bending ya with their other lines....

Bass'in requires little in the way of delicate landings..In fact most of the time I want a good healthy "plop" to the fly...so far I see no drawbacks..as roll casting is something I'm finding quite useful in my choked conditions..But I and can get some room...
    If any other ppl out there use Level's...a good portion of time..feel free to express your thoughts...These lines sound pretty versatile to me...and this is what I'm needing.....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I have a L9F SA line that we toss on our 5wt RPL. We have not stepped it off, but it seems to be around 60' of controlled line when we toss bass bugs. Most of the bugs are under 4".
    We also toss the same line on our 7wt. A bit easier, but the 5wt is 10' and mentally (that is probably all) we can pick more line from the salad than with a 9' rod.
    AND if we cannot reach'em we move closer, unless it is cold and we need to get wet to do it.

Rich, thanks for taking the time to 'splain.

I truly appreciate it.

Al Corey

------------------
    Did you ever notice: The Roman Numerals for forty (40) are "XL".

+ Reply to Thread